Dementia 1 - Me 0

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Oh well Dementia has won for today. Not pleased with myself because I lost it. My mum hurt her elbow - not sure how - those women in town did it :confused: GP came round to check and decided it was a pressure bursa and to keep an eye on it. My mum offered to push him into the lounge on her walking trolley and thought it was highly amusing. :eek: She has become very childlike and everything is a joke. Every comment is followed by do I want a glass of wine and I say every time I do not drink and drive and I am inbetween work visits. Anyway I leave to go to my next client and call in on the way back. Mum is applying lipstick to go to the Post Office. I asked what for and got shown a bag of underwear. She was taking them back to that woman :confused: When I asked which one I got told 'you know her the one down the road' ok I said I will take the underwear and get rid of it. Then I asked where her door key was. 'That man has it. Which man? You know the one down the road. Or the GP has it '. I then got really cross, went through her bag and said quite abruptly If I find your key which the man down the road has or the GP I wont be happy. I found the key and she said -' I knew it was there and I dont know what you are on about'. I went into the kitchen, swore very unladylike, clenched my fists and threw a silent wobbly. Back into the lounge I go all smiles and said Im off now - she said 'do you want a glass of wine' - no thankyou I need to go. Silent screams and unmentionable words in the car. So yes Dementia got me today.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
But you lived to tell the tale.......:)

Seriously, so many will be able to relate to your frustrations. It somehow helps, doesn't it?

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I used to do very un-silent screams in the car. I would pretend I'd left something in it, go out and put something like Bohemian Rhapsody on loud, and have a really good SCREEEAAAM!!
Highly recommended! Could go back afterwards saying, 'Oh, dear, I must have left it at home,' (very practised fibber by then), blood pressure almost back to normal.

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
The 'glass of wine' thing sounds like my MIL! I blame her for all our drinking habits - hers, mine and OH's!

I have been in the 'silent scream' place so many times, and - like you - have always managed to swallow it down face to face. I vent on here, so towards MIL I don't have to.

No constructive advice - just a note to say I feel your pain...

Maybe you should take her up on that glass of wine after all!

Thought on the subject though - she's not thinking it's 6pm, when it's much earlier, and indulging herself is she...?

MIL has been known to do this before, and on those occasions makes about as much sense as your poor mum too...

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Been there, done that, very very loud screams in the car to the accompaniment of loud music! Very relieving, I found!

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
The 'glass of wine' thing sounds like my MIL! I blame her for all our drinking habits - hers, mine and OH's!

I have been in the 'silent scream' place so many times, and - like you - have always managed to swallow it down face to face. I vent on here, so towards MIL I don't have to.

No constructive advice - just a note to say I feel your pain...

Maybe you should take her up on that glass of wine after all!

Thought on the subject though - she's not thinking it's 6pm, when it's much earlier, and indulging herself is she...?

MIL has been known to do this before, and on those occasions makes about as much sense as your poor mum too...

My mum never used to drink. It was as much as we could do to get her to have a glass of wine at Christmas. At the onset of her 'illness' she started buying wine and sherry and drinking. When she stopped using the bottle bank I noticed she was getting through a almost a bottle a day. Now I buy her sparkling grape juice and she is none the wiser and is happily drinking that. Occasionally she will go out a buy the sherry (wine). She will drink her 'wine' at any time not just evenings. I move the sherry out of the way and put the other in its place. She has also been drinking undiluted squash thinking it was orange juice. Now juice is in the fridge if she can remember it is there. Oh Im trying ti keep one step ahead :eek:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Yes! Those silent screams! How I remember them:D You did so well to put a smile back on your face. It's so difficult at times.

Take care

Lyn T XX

milly01

Aug 27, 2014
Staffordshire
Oh this has made me smile, my mum would easily go through a bottle of baileys a day if she had her own way plus anything else she could get her hands on. she would start at 11.30 in the morning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elbazcat