Dementia’s journey

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you for letting us know how you are doing. It's good to hear that you are remaining positive and I am also sending you a pat on the back. Take care and good luck for the future.

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
So glad your treatment has finished, Peter, this must be such a relief. Fingers crossed that tests will give the best news. Thanks for keeping us updated, I was just thinking this morning that we hadn’t heard from you in a while.
I know your darling Bridget isn’t around to ease your recovery now that you’re home but hopefully your family will take her place. In any event, she would have been so proud of how you’ve coped with all this over the last few months. Concentrate on how well you’ve done and less on guilt over any perceived shortcomings over your care of Bridget. Deep down, you know (if nothing else because we’ve all told you! 😀) that you did above and beyond what most people would, so there should be no recriminations.
Wishing you all the best for your recovery and I hope you enjoy the Spring sunshine, if we ever get any, and the summer to come.
C xx

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Such good news @Dutchman . You did it, and we knew you would. Bridget would be so proud of you too. Spring is here and I hope this has given you a spring in your step!

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
Hello everyone. This almost feel that I’m back to square one. My constant feelings are during almost all of our marriage I was self centred and could have thought of Bridget a whole lot more. She mentioned several times that “you only think of yourself ” and in many ways it was true. I often wonder why that’s my nature.

Trying to make amends during her time in the care home, her time in hospital by seeing her constantly and pampering and supporting her was obviously too late and my devotion then should have been more obvious during the “normal years”. During the dementia years I had to protect and think of myself so I could care for her.

I’m told it’s impossible to “give” someone dementia but I wonder if my behaviour had a bearing on it all. Whether or not the hurt she felt from neglect had a bearing on what happened, like the strain of it all.

The thing is, there is nothing I can do about it now apart from trying to come to terms with it for some peace. That’s the rub as they say, that we cannot alter the past.

I now sit in our wonderful home feeling a little undeserving because she made this a home with love and I cannot share it, no matter what good alterations I make she isn’t here to enjoy our home.

Sorry to go on but I wonder how long it takes before we reconcile ourselves to the situation. Guilt lingers on and once they’re gone we cannot “make it up”to our love ones

Peter

Last edited:

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@Dutchman
Peter it’s good to hear that you have finished your treatment.
you must give that guilt monster on your shoulder a good bash. Don’t blame yourself for Bridget’s dementia. There’s nothing you could have done because it’s caused by a multitude of factors, none of which you could have affected. Your love and dedication to Bridget shines through but you have to find a way to come to terms with loss and treasure the good memories you both shared. Maybe when you recover from the treatment you will find it easier. You have done well to cope with it while you grieve.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hello @Dutchman Peter, I can see you have been spending long periods reflecting on your relationship with your Bridget. I think you sum it up yourself when you write “ During the dementia years I had to protect and think of myself so I could care for her.” In her caring, you had to adapt and be the best for her, in whatever way you could manage. Dementia changed you both. But you are a very caring and loving person Peter, and by feeling guilty now shows that you regret not being the perfect carer, but as we all know, that person doesn’t exist. Bridget loved you for all your ways, we are all a little selfish at times, and you were under considerable and constant stress over a very long period, and once this stressful role was alleviated by Bridget receiving care in hospital and in the care home, you were able to revert back to your normal characteristics. Guilt seems to stalk dementia, but as @Melles Belles says, give it a good bash. Kick it out of your life. You deserve to feel better than this!