Delusion?

Ann422

Aug 9, 2015
USA
This is new. My mother now has suffered a delusion, I think. Whilst in the hospital, she questioned the nurse who came to give her a anti-blood clotting injection. She has heart failure. I was not there, but she told me that she questioned this person as to who gave him the authorization to give her this and he left. This is not like her at all. She never gave medical personnel a hard time.
THEN, she said that she believe she was "drugged" by someone (she says she is not clear on this) and that it was for some sinister reason (could not give me the reason) and that this definitely happened and she is NOT crazy She has since come home and has been agitated and upset ever since. These two contradictory statements in one short talk have me frightened.
Here is my question. Have any of you had this experience with the one you care for and how do you respond to their fears and agitation?
Thank you.

Last edited:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
hi there I'm sorry I don't have any direct experience but I am bumping this up and hope someone will be able to help. I would probably acknowledge that she has had an awful experience and then keep reassuring her that she is safe and well looked after now and there is no danger. I would repeat the reassurance at regular intervals.
I don't know if this helps. Thinking of you

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My mother was more delusional when she had a urinary tract infection. Has she been checked for this? Also, the experience of being in hospital can lead to worsening of symptoms - confusion, paranoia, etc. In one sense it is logical to question someone who is giving you an injection but the fear of having been drugged suggests delusional thinking. This episode may pass but it can take some time if it is caused by an infection. Can you get a doctor to come and see her?

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
My OH is going through this now. It started last week and we have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow. He packed to go home tonight, finally pursueded him that we could stop for one more night. ( we have lived here for 15 years) . At no point does he seem to recognise anything to give him a clue this is our house. I will let you know what his doctor says.