delicate subject

janette

Nov 19, 2013
Bournemouth
I have been caring for my husband for two years, he has dementia. I have carers every morning and he goes to day care two days a week. This practical help enables me mostly to cope day to day but I am very saddened by the thought that I will be celibate for the rest of our lives. If this is a taboo subject, I beg pardon. I don't mean to offend anyone but maybe other carers feel the same. I love my husband but feel almost resentful, with nobody to blame and maybe a sexual relationship is not supposed to be a priority for people in my situation, but it is an added sadness for me.

Officeboy Sean

Nov 19, 2013
London
I think you are perfectly entitled to feel a sadness at the loss of intimacy and I do not think anyone could criticise you for thinking it or for raising it as an issue/concern. I think it is not possible for anyone to be a carer and 100% "noble" in all your thoughts. I am sure all of us have some selfish thoughts (please note not that I am saying that I think your comment is selfish) and we have to be honest and think about our own feelings at times rather than pretending to be saints

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
This has been discussed before Janette. Have a search through the forum and I'm sure you will find the threads xxx

Vesnina

Aug 25, 2013
And there are great movies made on this subject - it is not only dementia but various other limitations that deprive someone from vital aspects of life,
and he or she could find ways to love other persons in other ways.
This does not have to mean leaving or betraying the partner.

Love is to be mutual, not too much of a sacrifice.

Last edited: