Delayed DST

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
Today, I received a copy of the DST which was undertaken in January. I attended the assessment. Due to the fact this took so long, a review was undertaken a few weeks ago. I wasn't advised of this, or given the opportunity to attend. This review has changed some of the domains, which means my father is now not eligible for potential CHC funding.
Based on the assessment in January, he was – at least on paper – eligible. The reason for the 4 month delay is apparently due to staff shortages. So, to my mind, that means that someone who was potentially eligible for CHC in January, has been denied this, purely based on a delay in dealing with the paperwork. How can this be right?

This is my dad's third CHC assessment under three different authorities. I'm amazed at how different they have all been. It's shocking how there isn't a set standard for all the LA's. At least this time I have been sent the DST. I was denied this on the two previous occasions. Dad was also eligible before, but there wasn't enough evidence provided and blah de blah. They seem to make it up as they go along. It isn't about the money as far as I'm concerned; it's about a system that seems to generally fail those in need. It's about inconsistency and unfairness. I don't see how anyone who's self funding will get a fair assessment; based on the fact that the NH in question would lose a large proportion of that person's fees if they were to get CHC. I could go on...

It states the assessment will be submitted to the CCG on 1st June, so I need to sign and add any comments ASAP.

Any advise please?

katek

Jan 19, 2015
Today, I received a copy of the DST which was undertaken in January. I attended the assessment. Due to the fact this took so long, a review was undertaken a few weeks ago. I wasn't advised of this, or given the opportunity to attend. This review has changed some of the domains, which means my father is now not eligible for potential CHC funding.
Based on the assessment in January, he was – at least on paper – eligible. The reason for the 4 month delay is apparently due to staff shortages. So, to my mind, that means that someone who was potentially eligible for CHC in January, has been denied this, purely based on a delay in dealing with the paperwork. How can this be right?

This is my dad's third CHC assessment under three different authorities. I'm amazed at how different they have all been. It's shocking how there isn't a set standard for all the LA's. At least this time I have been sent the DST. I was denied this on the two previous occasions. Dad was also eligible before, but there wasn't enough evidence provided and blah de blah. They seem to make it up as they go along. It isn't about the money as far as I'm concerned; it's about a system that seems to generally fail those in need. It's about inconsistency and unfairness. I don't see how anyone who's self funding will get a fair assessment; based on the fact that the NH in question would lose a large proportion of that person's fees if they were to get CHC. I could go on...

It states the assessment will be submitted to the CCG on 1st June, so I need to sign and add any comments ASAP.

Any advise please?

I couldn't agree more with what you say about the whole process of CHC assessments. I think it is nothing short of a national scandal, but CCGs manage to get away with it, largely because the general public are unaware of it until they or a relative are affected.

Can you imagine what would happen if national institutions were administered in a similar way e.g. public examinations / the driving test etc.?! There would be an absolute uproar. It just would not be allowed to happen.

Anyway, re what to do now, I would write in large letters on the DST that you disagree with the new scoring, and were not permitted to attend the assessment. Keep a photocopy of this too. The NHS' own guidelines state that the patient and a representative have the right to be present, so you should also state this fact, and demand that the assessment be done again, with you attending. It would be worth contacting your father's MP on his behalf, and letting the CCG know you have done so. They may well change their tune once they realise you know the rules and will not fall for their lies.

People's needs can change, but it does seem rather convenient for the CCG that they happen to have improved rather than worsened! Question where the evidence for this has come from.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015