Deja vu?

Suzannemarie

Feb 15, 2018
Hi
I’ve read a few posts on here about Deja vu l, but they are a few years old. Just looking for advanced ce/opinions really.
I posted a while ago as my mum was not coping at all alone in her home. Very agitated, paranoid, delusional had ‘lost everything’. Had a crisis point when she was found in her street in her nightie in the middle of the night. Eventually got her to see a GP who has referred her to the memory clinic (still no appointment) and ran blood tests which showed she was very anaemic. As her paranoia seemed much worse in her own home, she has moved in with me (that’s another story!!!) but returns home every day for an hour or so. The Gp said she thought my mum had ‘some kind of dementia’ but didn’t elaborate.
However, since she’s lived with me and has had company and good food she is much improved, I think treating the anaemia has also helped. She’s still paranoid but not as bad, she ‘sees things’ sometimes but not as regularly as she did. She had a spell last week of seeing blood pouring through the ceiling in her bedroom, this went on for a few nights but she wasn’t alarmed by it. My main concern at the moment is her Deja vu and I’d like to know if anyone can relate to it and whether this is actually dementia we are dealing with? Her Deja vu is constant, she’s seen every tv. programme, weather forecast, book, newspaper before. She won’t watch tv now because of it. If she receives post she says she’s already had it. When we go out she gives a running commentary about how the same people, dogs and cars were there yesterday, how we park in the same place as yesterday (even if we didn’t go out yesterday). She is aware that she’s experiencing Deja vu. Does anyone have experience of this or know whether it is a definite sign of some kind of dementia? I’ve googled it many times but I just wondered if anyone had any advice please? Thanks in advance

Suzannemarie

Feb 15, 2018
Hi
I’ve read a few posts on here about Deja vu l, but they are a few years old. Just looking for advanced ce/opinions really.
I posted a while ago as my mum was not coping at all alone in her home. Very agitated, paranoid, delusional had ‘lost everything’. Had a crisis point when she was found in her street in her nightie in the middle of the night. Eventually got her to see a GP who has referred her to the memory clinic (still no appointment) and ran blood tests which showed she was very anaemic. As her paranoia seemed much worse in her own home, she has moved in with me (that’s another story!!!) but returns home every day for an hour or so. The Gp said she thought my mum had ‘some kind of dementia’ but didn’t elaborate.
However, since she’s lived with me and has had company and good food she is much improved, I think treating the anaemia has also helped. She’s still paranoid but not as bad, she ‘sees things’ sometimes but not as regularly as she did. She had a spell last week of seeing blood pouring through the ceiling in her bedroom, this went on for a few nights but she wasn’t alarmed by it. My main concern at the moment is her Deja vu and I’d like to know if anyone can relate to it and whether this is actually dementia we are dealing with? Her Deja vu is constant, she’s seen every tv. programme, weather forecast, book, newspaper before. She won’t watch tv now because of it. If she receives post she says she’s already had it. When we go out she gives a running commentary about how the same people, dogs and cars were there yesterday, how we park in the same place as yesterday (even if we didn’t go out yesterday). She is aware that she’s experiencing Deja vu. Does anyone have experience of this or know whether it is a definite sign of some kind of dementia? I’ve googled it many times but I just wondered if anyone had any advice please? Thanks in advance
Hi
** Oops-meant to say advice/opinions-

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago went through a period of thinking that she had seen everything on TV, even the news. She also thought that she had met every stranger who spoke to her even though she couldn't remember people she did know. It was only whilst reading this thread that I realised that it is about 2 years ago that she went through this phase.

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Hi
A proper assessment should help determine dementia and what type might be contributing to the 'hallucinations' or delusions. Dementia is so very complex. Anaemia will certainly not make one feel well, but I cannot recall any attribution as such to cognitive problems. Hopefully the memory clinic can point the way ,when the appointment is made? Deja vu is a term which I have not heard referred to during my 'dementia' journey. But my own mother would 'ramble', sometimes for hours literally on the same topic - like a broken record. She had Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. Until diagnosis, I was guessing. After a scan, at least I could then start to address her dementia as best I could, based upon current knowledge and behaviour 'stages'.

And 'logic' tends to go out of the window once you enter dementia world - hallucinations and all.

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
My mum had deja vu episodes in the earlier stages of her dementia, she used to.say that every tv programme was a repeat and she'd seen it all before even the brand new daily newspaper that I'd give her everyday she'd already read. She'd already been to my daughters new home even though we'd only picked up the keys that day, she had already been to a restaurant that had only opened that week. I use to argue the points with her all the time which drove her and myself crazy. In the end I realised there was no point arguing with her as it upset us both so from.then on I'd just go along with it all. Whatever she said was 'true', made for a much easier life for us both. This stage lasted about a year and then just disappeared to be replaced by another stage of the illness.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi

Tell me about it, My dad has seen every programme even the brand new one's, he has been everywhere (stopped off there while on a cruise) been in every antique shop in bargain hunt (recognises the shelves and what's on them. Worked with, went to school with almost everyone in these programmes. Drives me nuts.

Suzannemarie

Feb 15, 2018
Thank you all for your responses. Must agree Duggiesgirl and PipD-it can drive me crazy too. I have argued until I’m blue in the face that a programme is brand new, but realise it doesn’t get us anywhere. Makes me smile when I give way to a car and the driver doesn’t acknowledge me-my Mum always says ‘they didn’t say thank you yesterday either’!!

GeG-Canada

Feb 4, 2018
BC Canada
sounds familiar. :)

My husband will say that he's seen a 'new show' before and want me to change the channel. I'll change it to a program we've seen before (sometimes the night before) and he'll sit and watch it with no problem! Over the last few months I've realized that it is 'comfort' for him to re-watch it.

He doesn't remember watching it, I think what happens is when he does watch a 'repeat' it is something he can relate to - he doesn't 'know' that he's seen it before, but it rings as true in his mind.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Tell me about it, My dad has seen every programme even the brand new one's, he has been everywhere (stopped off there while on a cruise) been in every antique shop in bargain hunt (recognises the shelves and what's on them. Worked with, went to school with almost everyone in these programmes. Drives me nuts.

My mother had invariably been to every country ever mentioned on TV, from Azerbaijan to Zimbabwe. At first I would say, 'Er, I don't think so,' but quickly learned to say instead , 'Oh, yes - was it nice?'
The answer - equally invariably - was, 'I can't remember.' !