Deep Sleeping ?

Memori

Sep 22, 2006
Mum is going downhill, she had a bad fall which she recovered from but now is very sleepy all the time and hardly eating or drinking much unless prompted, she says she aches all over, but when her Doctor checked her out she was ok, she only stayed a few minutes and I didnt get the chance to ask what I needed to, like tell her how she nearly falls over and gets so out of breathe and her heart pounds after a short walk, and how twice she has gone into such a deep sleep that I couldent wake her for ages and thought she was in a coma, is this usual for alzheimers patients to sleep so deeply?,I am very worried that she will have to go to hospital, as she is very fearful of the places, does the deep sleeping mean that she has not long to go?I am so worried that I am not doing all I should be for her.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Deep Sleep

I can only tell you that My Hubby Ron sometimes goes into such deep sleep, banging a drum would not wake him. So I wake him up slowly, hold his hand and gently wake him, it might take a while, but he is less confused. Ron is eating and drinking, so on that I cannot comment. Hope this help's.
Barb

Memori

Sep 22, 2006
Thank you for your reply I did try tapping her arm and shouting loudly but that didnt work the second time so I gave her a sip of brandy on a spoon which is probably the wrong thing to do but it did work, she also keeps getting a slight nose bleed from blowing her nose too hard, I dont know if this is anything to worry about, I keep telling her not to blow so hard but it seems to be a habit now.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Occasionally, my mother would have 24 hours or so like this: it seemed to be tied to having a TIA or a seizure. Whatever caused it, when it was happening it was hopeless trying to keep her awake, of even trying to wake her. Although you may have a different view point, I didn't feel it was a kindness to try to continue to wake her when she was in that state, although to be fair, it wasn't all the time, just intermittently.

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi Memori
Sometimes Dad would need a lot of sleep, but it was probably medication induced on occasion. Who knows what causes such deep sleeps. Sometimes he would be sleeping when I visited, but I couldn't bring myself to wake him just on my account. I think sleep is a natural healer, even for people who haven't dementia. I would just be content to let her sleep, she must need it.
take care
hendy

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
See your Mum's Doctor about the nose bleed, just to check. Sleeping, as I have found with Ron, well, it does no harm, he must need it. Lay off the brandy, if your mum is on medication.
Speak to the Doctor. Let us know how you get on.
Kindest regards
Barb:)

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Memori,

My mum also goes into a very deep sleep near impossible at times to wake her up. At first I was quite worried but it has been happening for sometime now. I was told it could be TIA's and also, it's not unusual for a dementia sufferer to drift into deep sleep. Regards Taffy.