Deep sleep

Tularoma

Dec 24, 2013
Having got home from work I received an anxious phone call from dad, mums carer, to say that she had slept from 10:30 last night to 1:30 this afternoon. He had woken her for 'breakfast' and after a bath and hair wash this afternoon she said she felt a bit dizzy and laid back down in bed. She then went into such a deep sleep that my dad couldn't wake her. He phoned me asking what he should do, she was breathing but he couldn't rouse her. He called emergency services who sent a first responder who said that this is a normal, but not common development of Alzheimer's. Has anyone else experienced this? I quite expected this to be the end when I arrived after a 30mi drive across town in the rush hour traffic. Mum is physically very fit but when does the dementia interfere with physical wellbeing?

AndreaP

Aug 19, 2015
Adelaide South Australia
Please don't assume this has necessarily happened to your mum but 2 years ago I had what seems to have been a TIA (Transient Ischaemic Attack) at work one night. I was working at my computer when I felt dizzy and confused and couldn't absorb what I was reading on the screen. I told my boss who called my husband to collect me.

He took me home and I went to bed at 8pm (normally it's 1am) and I slept 15 hours straight. Never had another and a subsequent scan showed nothing amiss.

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
We did exactly the same the first time my MIL did this, paramedics came, checked her over and said this does happen. Since then she continues to have these episodes occasionally, once staying in bed for 36 hours straight :eek::eek: She then gets up as if she's just been asleep for the night!

Now, if we can't wake her then we just leave her until she wakes up by herself and enjoy the peace that reigns whilst she's asleep :D:D

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
My symptoms first started with long periods of not being able to wake up or stay awake. I still have them but now I understand my condition more I try and keep going if I can - sheer indignation at this wretched condition- but at times know this is not really a good idea and I must succumb and 'rest'. It is not really 'rest' I describe it as my 'brain fitting' but no visible signs, externally, of a fit or seizure. The deep sleep follows as the brain recuperates.

I used to be, pre symptoms, reasonably fit. I continue to try and remain active when I can but it gets harder to do this.

I still cannot understand why they don't do any EEG recordings to try and see what is happening, something then may be identified that could help.

Tularoma

Dec 24, 2013
Thank you

We did exactly the same the first time my MIL did this, paramedics came, checked her over and said this does happen. Since then she continues to have these episodes occasionally, once staying in bed for 36 hours straight :eek::eek: She then gets up as if she's just been asleep for the night!

Now, if we can't wake her then we just leave her until she wakes up by herself and enjoy the peace that reigns whilst she's asleep :D:D

It is reassuring to hear from you as new symptoms and changes to behaviour are worrying. Hoping for a better day today, mum woke at 9:30 after sleeping 11 hours and was quite good this morning, but this afternoon again I received a call from dad saying that she had gone crazy and had locked him out of the house because she didn't know who he was. He was gutted as usual when she is so horrible to him. By the time I got there, the phone call was half way through my eye test, she was ok and dad had managed to let himself back into the house. I'm not sure how long he can manager her at home, but he is very resistant to a care home. Fingers crossed tomorrow will be a quieter day.

Vicki1975

Aug 31, 2015
Swindon, Wiltshire
Deep sleep seems to be an issue with any brain complaints. I was in a near fatal car crash 13 years ago and suffered from the same thing for a while. It's strange. I had times when I could hear people but couldn't wake and other times when I was out cold and I couldn't be woken.

They stopped after a few years and I never found out why they started. The a few months ago my Grandmother told me she'd had to call the doctor for my grandfather who has dementia for the same reason. A few times now she's not been able to wake him. Her GP has now said as long as my grandfather is breathing and has a pulse she can leave him to sleep.

All I can think is it's like a coma. Maybe it's the brain trying to heal itself and it needs to shut down to the basics to try. Sorry I know I'm no help! I just wanted to let you know you're not alone and you don't need to worry about it too much x

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL has just slept since Friday 6pm and she probably will not wake up if I don't ' make ' her get up, which I intend to do in a couple of hours. She will have no knowledge of the length of time asleep!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
it's a very strange thing isn't it...

Mum will have a lie down in the afternoon, saying she's sooooo tired.
10mns later she wakes up, and says she has been asleep for hours and hours :rolleyes:

11 Yrs ago my husbnad was diagnosed with a brain tumour. His subsequent surgeries, radiation and chemo could see him sleep for up to 24hrs at a time.
was all very worrying, but as said, the brains way of recovering or recuperating or just plain resting when its had enough.
The one and only seizure my husband had that I witnessed, was very frightening for me, but at the end of it he just went soundly to sleep for several hours.