Decline?

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
I wonder if this is part of the decline I was warned about?

On the weekend I was taken into hospital with sudden left side weakness. This is mostly gone and the doctor says there is no new brain damage. He says it was a stroke mimic (whatever that is).
Since this I cannot see well on the left side and keep walking into things.
The real problem is that I cannot speak quickly enough and reading things takes for ever. I used to read quickly and before I could read in my head quicker than I could say things. Not anymore
I can feel thoughts happening in my head but they seem to hit a block and either just disappear or take ages to say.

I have vascular dementia. Is this a decline step?

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Hello

Hello John,

It sounds like a mini stroke. My mum has Vas Dementia and has these. Often the symptoms disappear in 24 to 48 hours. These kind of strokes are common in Vas Dementia but they don't mean you are in a decline.

You should go back to your doctor and ask for a medication check and blood pressure. Tell him about the new symptoms.

My mum has had 3 in the last 2 years and has mostly recovered with a little left side weakness. No-one can predict the progression of your dementia so I would say think positively and enjoy each day. You may be worrying about something that never happens.
Lots of love
Quilty

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
I wonder if this is part of the decline I was warned about?

On the weekend I was taken into hospital with sudden left side weakness. This is mostly gone and the doctor says there is no new brain damage. He says it was a stroke mimic (whatever that is).
Since this I cannot see well on the left side and keep walking into things.
The real problem is that I cannot speak quickly enough and reading things takes for ever. I used to read quickly and before I could read in my head quicker than I could say things. Not anymore
I can feel thoughts happening in my head but they seem to hit a block and either just disappear or take ages to say.

I have vascular dementia. Is this a decline step?

Hello john51

My mum had vascular dementia and I think was having small strokes but one morning she woke up with quite bad right sided weakness and was dragging her right leg around. My mum would start a sentence but could not finish it. She was in her early eighties and had other physical health issues. I am assuming that you had an MRI scan while you were in hospital? I have not heard of the expression stroke mimic, so hopefully it was not too serious. Sadly, my mum did not really fully recover the feeling in her right side, it remained weak and her speech did not fully recover either but she had quite a few other physical problems as well as dementia and age was not on her side.

Hope you feel a bit better soon.