Decline

KEZH

Feb 6, 2014
London
Mum was diagnosed around 4 years ago but it's probably a good 7 years since symptoms started. She's been in a nursing home for the past 2 years with a steady decline but over the past couple of weeks she's been upset because she's unable to do basic things .She phoned last night in tears because she hasn't been able to have a wash because she can't find her soap etc. She wanted me to go round and help her and I would have but unfortunately there is norovirus in her home so no visitors currently allowed and she didn't want anybody else to help her. Has anybody any experiences of a steady slow decline then a sudden deterioration. It's so upsetting and I feel helpless.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I’m sure someone will post who is more experienced than me. But a sudden decline can be due to lots of things. A urine infection, or other illness, or, if it is vascular dementia, then that plateaus with sudden drops.
As for feeling helpless, if it were me, I think I would be inclined to tell the home. They must be experienced at being tactful about giving extra help without telling where they got the information?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yes I would have phoned the home telling them your mother was upset because she couldn't`t find the soap. It would only have taken a few minutes to reassure her.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Hi KEZH. As I understand it the dementia can go in a slow decline because the brain finds other ways around the tangles to get the message through (hugely oversimplifying but I am not a scientist!). At some point, usually because of an illness (UTI, even a simple cold) the brain gives up the fight and there will be a sudden decline. Some things may come back after time as the brain tries to find other ways to move the messages around but usually the sudden decline is permanent. Mum just went through one after the usual winter virus; her recovery physically was fine but she has lost a lot of cognitive skills in the last few weeks - so much so that I decided to have people come in to get her up and showered in the morning as she was getting really nasty with me and I was having to 'hover' over her for upwards of two and a half hours. As a result she was missing out on her clubs and activities, all of which stimulate her brain and give her immense pleasure.
Your mum is in a home where there will be stimulation, people to look at even if she can't communicate very well, so I am sure she is in the right place and that they would welcome a call from you just to say that she had rung you in distress about something small.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Yes my Mum has.
Diagnosed witn Alz in 2013, but symptoms in hindsight about 2010/2011 and went into care 17 mnths ago.
Mum had a steady decline from 2013 to 2016, although beg of 2016 when she had several UTI's we did notice new behaviours that she didnt do prior.
Mum was stable in the first 7-8 mnths in care, and then developed two UTI's 2 mnths apart and has never been the same since.
Mum has declined as far as feeding herself with utensils. She will sit in front of her food as if she doesn't know what to do. The carers have to feed her. But then on the odd occasion she will pick her fork up, and feed herself, but can no longer use her knife.
Her toileting is a major issue, forgetting to wipe, forgeting to flush or wash hands. Mum refuses to use inco pads or pants. They do use disposable underwear, and have her on a toileting schedule.
Mums speech is often jumbled, and her sentences are generally Yes/No or less than 6 word sentences.

Unfortunately all of this has resulted in Mum taking to her room. Mood swings, aggression, agitation, hitting carers, hallucinating and delusions too. Refusing to join in activities, even music or dancing which was her favourite.
After blood tests/urine tests, and screening for delirium, everything was fine in that respect.
They have tried Mum with Lorazepam. This made Mum sedated and couldn't string a sentence together and wobbly on he feet. They tried upping her anti depressant dose. Nothing.
Since September they tried her with an antipshychotic Quetiapine.
This helped enormously for first months, and then again taking to her room,refusing to shower or dress.
They increased the dose, an yet again Mum calmed down, and better.... even managed to take her out which I hadnt done for 5 mnths.
Then again another dip down. They have increased dose 3 times.

So far so good but I feel helpless too