Decline in hospital

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
My OH sustained a burn to his feet and has been in hospital. Whilst there he ha become immobile. The soles of his feet are. It affected. He has simply gone from walking to needing to be helped to stand and won’t walk at all. Does anyone know of this will be temporary or will return once he is healed and back home?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
You could consider requesting rehabilitation. ( six weeks in a rehab ward ).
It’s depends on the individual.
All I can tell you is that my mother would make a genuine effort to please those scary physios each day ( best hostess syndrome ) and any attempt by me to promote independence would be dealt with by a total lack of cooperation, and scorn.

Sadly any wound to the feet can be incredibly painful, so very difficult to tell.
Wishing you success in getting him mobile.

Don’t forget to ask for every single thing that may help?
Memory foam inner soles for footwear.
Pain numbing gel if appropriate etc etc.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Ma May My dad declined dreadfully when he spent 3 weeks in hospital with pneumonia. I never thought he would get home but he did. It took a few more weeks to get him mobile (we had no help with that) and he didn't recognise most of his home anymore but he did improve over time and eventually was very good with his frame. He kept his old personality which was a good thing.

I had to move in with him 24/7 but we did it somehow. It was very hard.

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
It is not unusual for a PWD to be disoriented and distressed when they are admitted to hospital .
Your husband's worsening might be temporary. What did the doctors tell you?
They haven’t. I keep commenting about decline but they seem to avoid it. He doesn’t seem particularly distressed though. He has a DOLS which makes things slightly awkward!

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
Hi @Ma May My dad declined dreadfully when he spent 3 weeks in hospital with pneumonia. I never thought he would get home but he did. It took a few more weeks to get him mobile (we had no help with that) and he didn't recognise most of his home anymore but he did improve over time and eventually was very good with his frame. He kept his old personality which was a good thing.

I had to move in with him 24/7 but we did it somehow. It was very hard.
At the moment there is no way I could have him home without a lot of help. Sadly a nursing home is looking likely

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My OH sustained a burn to his feet and has been in hospital. Whilst there he ha become immobile. The soles of his feet are. It affected. He has simply gone from walking to needing to be helped to stand and won’t walk at all. Does anyone know of this will be temporary or will return once he is healed and back home?
Hospitals are not the best places for rehab unless there is a team dedicated to this. Its difficult to say if its the injury to the feet or the hopitilisation that has caused a further decline. In general pwd taken out of their own faniliar environment do take a dive down further, and its hard to say if they will recover -time will tell. I always keep in the back of my mind that my mum has a condition that will only ever get worse, and over the years mum has gone from being very stable and consistent for a long period to a rapid decline regardless. But this is the reality of dementia, its not a question of 'if' but 'when'. Its a complex disease and often there is more than one factor involved when a pwd deteriorates further.

Everest1969

Jan 9, 2021
At the moment there is no way I could have him home without a lot of help. Sadly a nursing home is looking likely
Hello @Ma May. My mum lost the ability to walk over Christmas and we had to move both my parents into a care home. They both have dementia. She had not been taking caring of herself and had run herself ragged trying to care for my father. I don't think she was eating either. My big worry was that her ability to walk was gone for good, and that she may have lost confidence or forgotten how to walk. However, the care home (hate it though she does) has been brilliant for her in that respect, and she is now able to walk again with a frame. I was concerned that they would prefer to just leave her in a wheel chair as it would be easier for them, but this hasn't been the case. I hope that things work out for you as best as they can in these circumstances. It is never easy to put someone in a care home, but sometimes it is the place where they can get the best care.