December diagnosis

Isobel19660

Feb 5, 2015
Hi, my mum was diagnosed in Dec after 18 months or so attending memory clinic so it was no great surprise.

My dad is still around though he has become very forgetful now too. They seem to be managing on a daily basis but I am so worried about them. Occasionally my mum will have a tantrum and my dad will disappear for a few hours. I know for sure mum is not taking tablets each day and dad forgets to remind her ! They still shop for food themselves so their cupboards are full but they don't seem to be cooking /eating. They will often say they had a bun or some toast for dinner / lunch.

I am not sure what help they need. Have thought about meals on wheels / farm foods but don't want to take away that but of independence.

Not sure where we are going with this dementia , any ideas would be greatly appreciated

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi, my mum was diagnosed in Dec after 18 months or so attending memory clinic so it was no great surprise.

My dad is still around though he has become very forgetful now too. They seem to be managing on a daily basis but I am so worried about them. Occasionally my mum will have a tantrum and my dad will disappear for a few hours. I know for sure mum is not taking tablets each day and dad forgets to remind her ! They still shop for food themselves so their cupboards are full but they don't seem to be cooking /eating. They will often say they had a bun or some toast for dinner / lunch.

I am not sure what help they need. Have thought about meals on wheels / farm foods but don't want to take away that but of independence.

Not sure where we are going with this dementia , any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Hi and welcome to TP.

Have your parents had any input from Social Services or had an assessment of their needs. If your Father is becoming forgetful then he really can't be expected to be your Mother's primary carer. So even if they have been assessed then the SS need to know about the changes and how they need help with medication and shopping.

It could be dangerous for your Mother, forgetting medication is not good but she could also forget she has taken it and take it again which is dangerous.

So please get the help for them and keep using the forum to gain advice and support in helping your parents.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point (TP), although its sad you need to be here.
also
I agree with Jaymor but it may be worth you ringing the local branch of the Alzheimer's Society - I had great help from them and their services have generally improved since I needed them.

You will find them here but don't be put off if they seem some distance from you as they generally cover a wide area. Hopefully they have a Dementia Support Worker who can help you.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121

Best wishes

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
As an interim measure (before getting proper care sorted) you can ask for blister packs for medication. It will be easier to tell how much/little medication has been taken.

I feel your pain we have just had diganosis for my mil and I'm taking her to dr next week to do a medication check. I suspect they are giving her stuff she doesn't need on repeat prescription such as cough medicine and antacids.

I'd ask for a medication review and how they suggest medication is administered if they keep forgetting.