Debit Cards and EPA (registered)

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Clive,

You might have seen that I had a different experience with the Halifax, but I did make an appointment in advance. The counter clerks can't do it, they are not authorised, but the young man who dealt with us was fast, efficient, knowledgeable and sympathetic to the situation. 30 minutes and all done and dusted - and I have his direct phone number if I need him again.

On a different tack, I see you have been following interest rates, I too feel that the Halifax have some very good rates on different accounts (have you seen the Web Saver paying 5.75% and allowing direct debits - perfect for paying the care home fees). But I am wary of putting my eggs all in one basket. I'm sure the Halifax is safer than any other bank, but what do you think?

Regards

Margaret

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Margaret

Yes I am following interest rates very closely. At the moment one computer has www.thisismoney.co.uk as the home page. That site tends to report accounts where the interest rate is less likely to be cut as soon as you close your eyes. You still have to be careful though. Most savings accounts seem to have the interest rate reduced after a year or so and you have to move your savings again.

I have been looking at the fixed rate deals because I think interest rates will start going down again in the next 12 months.

Yes, I agree with you. All the eggs will not go in the same basket. The question is how few eggs go in each basket?

I had decided not to deposit money in one of the very small banks, though having seen what is happening at Northern Rock you do wonder where a safe place for your savings is. I think the Halifax is probably safe!

But the Government only guarantees that you get the first £2,000 of your life savings back. I think the Bank of England should guarantee that we get all our money back from any bank based in the UK. With all the Regulation that the Government has brought in you would think that it had confidence that UK banks would never go bankrupt.

Should you be in bed at 3 a.m.?

Regards Clive

panda

Apr 16, 2006
Surrey
Dont know if this help's but Mum had accounts with the Halifax and Alliance and Leicester. Both banks knew Mum and I have a debit card for one and a pin for hole in the wall for the other. I must of been lucky.How are you supposed to manage things without a card.????

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

Hbos wouldn't give me a debit card for Mum and Dad's current account, because only 2 people could be registered on the account.
At the time, I was reluctant to remove one of their names to enable me to be a named account holder, because it wasn't my money.

I just used their card and pin number for their needs. Maybe not quite legal but it worked.

On the otherhand I have just recently managed, after trying since November 2006 to encash an investment, my parents had with Halifax

Despite registering POA with the establishment, numerous phone calls, which in itself is agravating, because you can only talk to a customer advisor, at a call centre and not that I am mean, but my phone package is all national and local calls free, but not 0800 numbers.

My parents had 2 investments with Halifax. I encashed and reinvested (not with Halifax) one without problem, but this other, for which I had to deal with Aylesbury has taken since last November. I had to get my parent's solicitor involved to convince their technical Dept. that the document they insisited on having didn't exsist in Scotland.

I haven't yet had a bill from the Solicitor, but if I do it will be forwarded to Halifax and if it wasn't so much hassle, I would withdraw all monies from Halifax, mine as well as my parents

Alfjess

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Clive said:
Hi Margaret

Yes I am following interest rates very closely. At the moment one computer has www.thisismoney.co.uk as the home page. That site tends to report accounts where the interest rate is less likely to be cut as soon as you close your eyes. You still have to be careful though. Most savings accounts seem to have the interest rate reduced after a year or so and you have to move your savings again.

I have been looking at the fixed rate deals because I think interest rates will start going down again in the next 12 months.

Yes, I agree with you. All the eggs will not go in the same basket. The question is how few eggs go in each basket?

I had decided not to deposit money in one of the very small banks, though having seen what is happening at Northern Rock you do wonder where a safe place for your savings is. I think the Halifax is probably safe!

But the Government only guarantees that you get the first £2,000 of your life savings back. I think the Bank of England should guarantee that we get all our money back from any bank based in the UK. With all the Regulation that the Government has brought in you would think that it had confidence that UK banks would never go bankrupt.

Should you be in bed at 3 a.m.?

Regards Clive

Clive, not sure if this is direct to you and not the whole site. But if you would like to email me on (From Jennifer: email removed as per board rules - please use PM), perhaps we can discuss in more detail. Oh, that sounds as if I am a salesperson, no just an investor for my mum.

I also have a bit of additional info on the Halifax.

You will have read the new government protection plans for savers in Northern Rock, and it wasn't just the first £2000 but also 90% up to £33,000.

I am often up at 3 a.m., don't worry about it. I am not a morning person, often work (lecturer) till 9 p..m so by the time I have had my evening meal I a ready for a couple of hours on the net.

Regards

Margaret

Last edited by a moderator:

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Jennifer, I thought it was a PM, not sure how to do one. Please advise. Just don't know how to do a PM. Please tell me.

Anyway, probably wise of you to intercept cos I was probably going to say something I shouldnt.

Hard trying to help people wihout sticking your foot in it.

Mrgaret

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Margaret, if you want to send a PM (i.e. private message) to any one on the board you simply either click on their name and choose Send a private message to JoeBloggs or choose Private Messages (top right of screen) and go from there. Unfortunately, it's not unknown for people with nefarious intent to trawl boards such as these picking up email addresses, hence the rules.