Death of a loved one

Janedotgriff

Aug 23, 2012
And so it came to pass - sadly mum passed away March 15th - it suddenly seemed so quick and unexpected. I was with her thankfully, I got to spend the late evening with her talking nonsense and saying everything I knew I needed her to hear. The next morning I spent holding her hand talking with her companion of 12 years, laughing , reminiscing and hoping she could hear us.

She passed at noon, I sat with her for several hours a bit numb. I have never been with anyone at death before and if you had told me I would be there before it happened I would of hoped she would pass peacefully in her sleep. i am so relived to have been with her, to hold her hand and to share memories. I am happy I stayed for those hours after to have some time with her. These memories bring be some reassurance and comfort.

There is a huge hole in my heart and life - mixed with a relief for my mum, that she no longer has to suffer the indignity of double incontinence and the frustration of not remembering how to walk or talk. Organising a funeral in the midst of Covid -19 has its own complications but a relief I am not waiting fora phone call from the care home to say she has this on top of her dementia.

I will continue to do what I can to raise awareness and support research into finding a cure for Alzheimer's but wanted to write a final post to the memory of my mum. A wonderful daughter, sister, friend, colleague, wife, mother, grandmother and companion. 1939-2020. Missed but not forgotten.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I'm so sorry to read about your loss, but what a comfort and privelidge that you were able to share your mum's final hours, tell her of your love for her and be with her after, you did your mum proud.

MrsGriff

Mar 2, 2019
So glad you got to spend special time with her at the end.
Be gentle with yourself and know that your dear mum is now at peace.

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
My partner died on March 13th.I had been with him every day for the previous 6 days & he died early on the Friday morning so I wasn't with him. I am relieved he died then as all visiting at the hospital was cancelled the next day.

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
I'm glad you managed to be there at the end; especially now when so many are not able to do so. In the times ahead, may that thought bring you some peace. I was fortunate insofar as my mum still knew me, and knew I was there.She took my hand and kissed it, and that memory has consoled me when I get teary.

Wild Flower

Aug 18, 2015
So sorry for your loss, I lost my father last Tuesday and its do difficult as I can't go visit my Mum or any other family members due to lockdown.

"I will continue to do what I can to raise awareness and support research into finding a cure for Alzheimer's but wanted to write a final post to the memory of my mum. A wonderful daughter, sister, friend, colleague, wife, mother, grandmother and companion. 1939-2020. Missed but not forgotten."

I agree with raising awareness for find a cure, its such a cruel disease.

Crawley123

Nov 10, 2019
Am so sorry to hear about your loss but away from this awful disease now and your dear mum can rest . sending big hugs to you xx