1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. Tears Falling

Tears Falling Registered User

Jul 8, 2013
    #1 Tears Falling, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Dear Grandma

I had hoped that the move to the nursing home was going to give you some improved quality to your life. That you would settle and that your new home would be all that we hoped for, for you.

But it wasn't to be. My father called this morning to say you had passed. That you were tucked up in bed, surrounded by the teddy bears that brought you such comfort and that you slipped away. Your daughter, my mother was sobbing her heart out. Hoping she was able to calm herself to allow her to travel to see her family. A difficult journey when you are grieving, even harder when it's combined with dementia.

I have the fondest memoriels of my time spent with you, from long walks, to drinking tea, to pinching hot water bottles from sleeping family members beds and having tomato flavour cup of soup for supper. I still think of you when I have one to this day. My life has been enriched from having you in it. Be happy, shine brightly in the sky so we can see you and give our love to your husband, our grandfather who will no doubt have welcomed you with open arms.

I love you. TF xx

2. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    No need for more tears then. A peaceful death, happy memories for family, all good. What all families want for their loved ones.

God bless.

3. WIFE

WIFE Registered User

May 23, 2014
    WEST SUSSEX
    Tears Falling - so sad to read of your family's loss today but sounds as though you had good times with your Grandma through the years. Remember those as you grieve and know that she is at peace with those who loved her before.
    Loving thoughts as you face the sad days ahead WIFE

4. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    Sending my deepest sympathy to you and your family and wishing you comfort and peace.

5. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    I'm so sorry to read of your loss. Please accept my condolences.

Love,

Lyn T

6. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I too am sorry to read of your loss. Thinking of you and your family and sending my condolences.

7. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England

This echoes what my eldest said when we rang to tell him that his Nan died yesterday morning...." Goodbye to the lady who thought that fried bread was a perfectly natural tea time snack".

I'm glad you have things to smile about too...hang on to those memories.

with sympathy....Maureen.x.x.

8. Dazmum

Dazmum Registered User

I'm so sorry Tf, thinking of you and your family at this sad time xx

9. lin1

lin1 Registered User

Jan 14, 2010
    Female
    East Kent
    I am so sorry TF . Please accept my condolences .

10. Tears Falling

Tears Falling Registered User

Jul 8, 2013
    Thank you all. Away to my bed to try and sleep away the headache that has been building most of the day. I am hoping that my folks travel home safely tonight and that my mum has some comfort from seeing her sisters and brother today.

She was much loved, I hope that she knew that at the end.

11. Gigglemore

Gigglemore Registered User

Oct 18, 2013
    British Isles
    So sorry for the loss of your Grandma.