Dealing with someone living alone with dementia from a distance during covid

Dancigdan7

Apr 24, 2020
Hi,
Apologies for the long post but I would be grateful for advice as I'm really struggling with what to do for the best:

My mum (65 years old) was recently diagnosed with Vascular Dementia by her GP. After a recent brain scan and an initial memory loss assessment by a psychiatric nurse, we were awaiting a memory loss doctor appt on the 2nd April to hopefully commence a social care needs assessment and a care plan as no family live close by.
The appt was obviously cancelled further to lockdown commencing end of march and I worry that my mum has fallen through the support cracks as unfortunately I've noticed her state of mind has deteriorated drastically over the last 4 weeks, she's now hallucinating that her children are back living with her and she's making dinner for us. Apart from this I don't believe at the moment she is a danger to herself as she is able to look after herself, cook, eat, wash etc but she is struggling with understanding social distancing and goes to the local shop everyday to have something to do and buy something small.

She keeps phoning me each day telling me off for leaving the house without saying goodbye.

After contacting the psych team to understand what if any support is available for someone that hadn't had social care put in place before lockdown, they advised that obviously at the moment they can't get anyone to make house calls to check she's OK and as she doesn't appear to be a danger to herself we have to wait for lockdown to be over to get appt back in the diary.

After 4/ 5 weeks of her being alone and confused with no clear lockdown end date known yet and what normal will look like at the end of lockdown, I therefore desperately want her now to come and stay with me and/or for me to visit her (I live in England, mum lives in Wales), but have read today that dementia and alzheimers are not classed as vulnerable conditions on the covid advice. So it's likely I would be pulled over by the police and fined if I wrnt to collect her or visit her, although I did read another post that with support from social services, police and gp, a person was allowed to travel to assist someone with dementia.

I'm also frightened that she or I may pass on the virus to each other if we do find a way to be together. I have a 5 year old 4 month old to consider so I suppose my brain and heart are fighting over physical health of my family verses mental health, providing me peace of mind to know I can see and look after her each day until I can get her the psych Dr appt.
I'm also doubtful that she remembers to wash her hands after returning to the house after being to the shop, so I suppose the risk of her passing the virus to the family if she'd had it is high, however in the last 4 weeks of her living this way, apart from her dementia, she is a picture of health. So whose health do I put first, my kids or my mum's?

Thanks for reading, I find this forum great support and reassurance, especially at this unprecendented time.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Dancigdan7
a warm welcome to DTP

I have to admit my instinctive response to your question is that your children are your priority
if you bring your mum to your home, you may find she still insists on going out and it's very hard to stop another adult from leaving the house
at least now your mum is in her own familiar environment and has her routines ... you say she is looking after herself and looks healthy (I guess that means you skype or have some form of visual contact)

not an easy situation for you, I appreciate