1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Dealing with Social Services for Alzheimers care

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by markus, Mar 17, 2015.

1. markus

markus Registered User

Mar 16, 2015
    Hi
    My father has been living on his own with dementia for a number of years until last October, my brother and I decided he needed a personal assistant, initially for a couple of hours a day.
    The council did a financial assessment and told us that my father would need to fund the first £300 per week, so at the time we went through Hestia ourselves and found someone who met his needs to prepare mealtimes etc.
    The initial two hours a day quickly became 3, 4, 5 hours day, to the point where just after Christmas our father´s condition changes where it was clear he needed someone all day long.
    We got in touch with social services to clarify the funding situation because we were still funding the Personal assistant out of our fathers income and savings (we have PoA), and we were eating into his savings.

The council dragged their heels and we had to make a complaint because it wasn´t long before my Dad needed 24 hour care, and we have now reached the point that the council have agreed that this is what he needs.

As a result of our complaint the council did organise a night carer at their expense for a trial of 2-3 weeks, so monitor his behaviour and condition. It has been pretty tricky at times because his acceptance of having a stranger in his house at night was initially very aggressive.

We continue to fund the daytime carer - who does a great job - out of our Dads savings, and this is very expensive as we are paying an hourly rate.

The reason for the post is the following: We are unclear if we should expect the council to fund all of his daytime and evening care, for 24 hours a day. The total combined cost is probably close to £1000 a week all things considered, and the council has been hinting that at the end of the trial period, we should consider a "placement" in a residence near where he lives. Neither of us believe he should be in a home, as he prefers to be at home and although his condition has got worse, he still has a semblance of a routine and knows his surroundings.

Does anyone have any similar experience? We feel like we are in an unknown territory
    and don´t know what to expect from the council. Ever since the complaint they have bucked up their ideas, but I feel they won´t fund the night carer for ever and we cannot fund the day carer for ever either. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions! Sorry for the long post!

2. Delphie

Delphie Registered User

Dec 14, 2011
    #2 Delphie, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Hi Markus :)

In my experience, local authorities tend to go for the cheapest option that meets the needs (not the wants), so I doubt they will pay £1000 per week to keep your dad at home, when some kind of residential care will probably cost them less than half that. If he's no longer self funding at the end of this trial, I strongly suspect they will either reduce the care package and argue that his needs are being met, or agree that he needs 24/7 care/supervision and go the care home route.

The best way to know for sure is to ask them directly, though.

3. Witzend

Witzend Registered User

Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    From all I have ever heard it is extremely unusual for SS to fund 24 hour care in someone's home, simply because it often works out quite a bit more expensive than a care home.

If your father owns his own home and therefore has assets beside savings, I should imagine that in any case they will not fund his care for long.

The sad fact is that many people who would prefer to stay at home are unable to do so, because of the relative cost, and goodness knows care homes are expensive enough anyway. But it is also a fact that many people do very well in care homes, and you do not have the added fairly common problem of the person not wanting or accepting strangers in their own home.

There are always difficult decisions when someone needs 24/7 care, and seldom any easy or perfect answers.