dealing with incontinence

juggler

Mar 18, 2007
My dad has frontal temporal dementia which has different traits to alzheimers. We have been managing quite well with his care but recently we have struggled to cope with double incontinence.

We have noticed he may also be suffering from diarrohea but when we spoke to the consultant she did not believe it was as a result of the ebixa drug. It has taken quite a lot of his energy away and we are currently giving him high doses of immodium to manage the situation.

Has anyone else experienced diarrohea - is it a symptom of dementia and how do people cope with incontinence.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi juggler

I have deleted the duplicates of this thread - much better if you get replies in a single place, so everyone can follow what it happening.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Juggler,

My Dad had a bout of diarrhoea shortly after being prescribed Ebixa.We too gave him immodium but nothing seemed to work. He was convinced that it was his medication (including the immodium) that was causing the diarrhoea and refused to take any medication whatsoever for about 5 days. I looked at the leaflet that came with the Ebixa at the time and there was no mention of diarrhoea under the side effects, although it did mention constipation!

Eventually the diarrhoea stopped and after much cajoling/bribery/bullying we persuaded him to try the medication again. Touch wood, no repetition of the diarrhoea to date.

How long has your Dad been on the Ebixa? I understand that it is a pretty powerful drug and for that reason is introduced at a low dosage which is gradually increased to allow the body to get used to it.

Sue xx

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
When my mother had diarrohea it was probably as a result of taking too many laxatives.

And then of course got dehydrated, as she wasn't drinking enough.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Incontinence

my mother has had problems with urine incontinence for a number of years but i think this wasnt that much worse than the problems experienced by quite a lot of older (particularly) ladies. She actually managed this fine herself with the use of pads.
But recently problems seem to have developed with faeces. However this seems to be a combination od the change of diet since she entered the nursing home, as she has gone from barely eating to 3 meals a day and also simply because she also has a broken pelvis, she just isnt making it to the toilet in time.
To cap it off, she keeps actually forgetting where the toilet is!

juggler

Mar 18, 2007
ebixa side effects

Dad's been on ebixa for about 5 months and up to now no apparent side effects apart from a bad urinary tract infection. And when I have researched the drug there has been no mention of diarrohea quite the opposite.

I can't help thinking giving him the immodium is just masking a problem which I would like to get to the bottom of. Or could it just be a sympton of dementia in the latter stages.

The worst of it is that he has now forgotten how to go to the toilet and double incontinence has been quite difficult to manage.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Juggler

Can you tell us a bit more about your dad? For example, how old he is, and when he was first diagnosed?

It's quite difficult to get a complete picture without knowing the facts. My husband takes Ebixa, and does not suffer from Diarrhoea. But different people react in different ways.