Dealing with a broken leg and Alzheimer's

Didiana

Jul 21, 2022
My grandmother is in the middle stages of dementia- she forget quite a lot, though she is still lucid enough to know who we are, where she is, things that happened a day ago. Not always but usually.
She is 88 years old and while I was downstairs she fell very badly.
Fractured her tibia.
She is being discharged tomorrow and I have bought a bed, haired help etc.
But I would like to know what to expect? So if anyone has any advice or shared experience I would really appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Didiana and well done for making all the provisions for your grandmother.

Please ask the hospital if your grandmother is entitled to any aftercare once she is home.

Please look at this link and make sure you ask the right questions of the hospital before your grandmother is discharged.

Didiana

Jul 21, 2022
Hi, thank you.

However from what I understand this is the UK health are systems protocol. I am not English and so it doesn't really apply.

The hospital here do not really have this option.

If you are a relative, you are eligible. Thats pretty much it.

Didiana

Jul 21, 2022
That's why I'm more concerned with the at home situation. Because an injured person with dementia faces the same difficulties in any country.

As for the hospital and all that, I have made sure to ask for regular consultation with an orthopedic special ist, rehabikitation expert, etc. Which is pretty much all that they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba