De-caf Central

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
All being well, I will be accompanying my Mum and Father to a dementia cafe in Leeds.

The cafe is called De-caf Central. We've never been to a dementia cafe before and we're both worried about how my Father is going to react, as the person who runs it told me that she could talk to us, while my Father is there, about available assistance.

Has anyone out there had experience of dementia cafes and how they work.

I'd much appreciate any feedback.

Many Thanks,

Hindy.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
All being well, I will be accompanying my Mum and Father to a dementia cafe in Leeds.

The cafe is called De-caf Central. We've never been to a dementia cafe before and we're both worried about how my Father is going to react, as the person who runs it told me that she could talk to us, while my Father is there, about available assistance.

Has anyone out there had experience of dementia cafes and how they work.

I'd much appreciate any feedback.

Many Thanks,

Hindy.

Hi Hindy

Never been to a dementia cafe but love the name:)

Can you go on your own first or with your Mum and suss it out and share any concerns you may have with talking about assistance in your Dad's presence, she'll hopefully reassure you.
Best wishes
Sue

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
Hi Sue,

When I spoke to the lady who runs the cafe, I got the impression that both my Father and those caring for him were to attend.

It's a good idea to have a little chat with the lady in charge first. We could then dispense with mixing business with pleasure. I just hope that it's not going to feel too clinical.

Thanks for the help, I like the name too.

Hindy.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Our dementia cafe was called Al's cafe and was run by the Carer's Association. Both carer and cared for can attend. Members of the Carer's Association are there to talk to and to give you guidance and help in getting what you need to help you in caring. It is a social event and time can be spent with a member of the Association talking privately. Entertainment, quizzes and useful talks take place, really enjoyable two hours once a month.

All our local small towns have one so you could if you wanted attend on every week.

Jay

Hindy

Jul 31, 2014
Thanks Jaymor,

We were worried at how my Father might react to being there.

My Mum has since told me that she might attend somewhere else instead. I think that she might be finding it easier to avoid going. I'm going to have to play it by ear, as I think that it would be good for us all.

Hindy.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My experience is the same as Jaymor's. More recently a football memories session takes place during the cafe time. My husband goes through to that and I can have a coffee. They are intending to start some activity sessions as well. The Alz Scot staff and the Carer's Centre staff are always mingling so it's possible to have a chat. I always just say we're going out for a coffee. It's worth persevering as I think it would benefit your mum.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132