Daycare specifically for people with dementia

Tina W

Jul 18, 2014
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I would like to say hello to everyone and ask for your help and guidance on what I think is a very important issue.

I work with clients with dementia and the are I live in there seems to be very little help for these people and their carers especially with things like Daycare. I am looking into setting up a daycare designed specifically for people with Dementia, especially for those whose dementia has progressed and need assistance with things like toileting and eating as I am appalled that this is when the daycare services that are available will not accept people with dementia.

I am appalled that when the carers need the most help that is when there seems to be the least available.

I am looking into providing daycare with facilities to shower and assist as required and to be staffed appropriately. But I want to be able to offer what people with dementia would like and so for that reason I would like carers and people with dementia themselves to tell me what would they most like provided? what are your experiences of daycare in your area? What could be done better?

I want to be able to help by providing a daycare service that will help people with dementia and will give their loved ones a well earned break.

I look forward to your views.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My OH goes to a Day Care Centre that is specifically for people with dementia and I am very happy with it. They provide activities every day, a hot meal, toileting and showering facilities plus a laundry service for his soiled clothes. The staff are very good and sit with people at mealtimes if they need help. They took my OH when his first Day Centre didn't want him anymore because he was banging his hands on the table which apparently "disturbed other service users". Just the other day I have seen a carer (big, burly, brilliant guy) distract him by throwing him a ball and having it thrown back to him. Simple but effective. The centre is locked but they let people roam free within the building and garden. OH particularly likes the singing and dancing. One thing I would love for them to do is bring pets in through organisations - dogs or other small animals would be a hit I am sure.