Daycare centre's

Lois2

Jan 16, 2016
Hello my name is Jenny and my dad suffers with dementia,I am looking for daycare centre's in Essex we live in Chelmsford we are willing to travel a reasonable way an hour maximum as he doesn't like being in the car to long,can anyone recommend anywhere please.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Welcome to Talking Point

I don't have any knowledge of centres in your area
You have a couple of options
phone social services adult care (elderly) duty desk and ask for a list of day care near to you

a better option in my opinion would be to go to your local carers cafe and ask people - you will get lots of local information in a very short space of time, well worth the trip. You will need to google your local carers organisation and give them a ring a find a cafe near to you.

Lois2

Jan 16, 2016
Welcome to Talking Point

I don't have any knowledge of centres in your area
You have a couple of options
phone social services adult care (elderly) duty desk and ask for a list of day care near to you

a better option in my opinion would be to go to your local carers cafe and ask people - you will get lots of local information in a very short space of time, well worth the trip. You will need to google your local carers organisation and give them a ring a find a cafe near to you.

Ok thank you I'll give that a try.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Just a thought - are you also getting attendance allowance for your dad - it helps with costs. There is a lot of help out there
perhaps an assessment from your social services would be good - phone adult care (older people) duty desk at your local council and ask for an assessment
It would also be useful for you to give
Age UK a ring and ask them for help with what you might be able to access on 0800 1609 2081. They are great for helping with form filling and practical things and will send someone to your house.

and the National dementia helpline
Alzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline 0300 222 1122 can provide information, support, guidance and signposting to other appropriate organisations.

The Helpline is usually open from:
9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday
9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday
10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Jenny, just wanted to say welcome to Talking Point, much support and understanding here, hope you get some much needed practical help soon for your dad, if you have the time do have a chat with dads GP who may be able to advise or indeed do a referral to social services (referral from the GP does speed things up) also our Dementia helpline will be of help as well.
Best wishes
Chris

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513