Day Centres

What is/was your experience of day centres for people with dementia?

• Positive [patient was under 65]

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Negative [patient was under 65]

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Positive [patient was over 65]

Votes: 88 41.1%
  • Negative [patient was over 65]

Votes: 26 12.1%
  • I have no experience of day centres

Votes: 53 24.8%
  • There are no day centres within reach

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • There are no places available at the local day centre

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

TextintheCity

Feb 20, 2011
London
mum went to day centre a few times, they picked her up and dropped her back to her flat. She didn't like it, said the quizzes were stupid (=she knew the answers, and she left school at 13) and they were 'left' to do painting. They had to play 'silly games' (icebreakers/memory games) throwing a ball to each other and saying their names. The staff were great and really tried to engage her but she was very negative. She is not ready for a day centre or for whatever reason she has not engaged with them.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
In the moment, in the time, people at our day centre are happy and relaxed and engage with everyone.I suspect that many forget this when they go home and when asked if they have enjoyed their day they will say the same as mum.

I met a lady yesterday who is 95yrs old. Her comments were that all the people at the centre were too old and she could not possibly spend a day with them:D

We explain that the memory games etc are to keep their brains healthy and to help improve memory,we explain that whilst it may sometimes appear a bit silly,it works.Most people appear to understand and then participate eagerly.

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
Our 'day centre' is actually day care at a residential home. Mum is okay most of the time there, but its a long day and she gets tired and tearful at the end. BUT, we find it invaluable. It allows me to have 121 time with the kids, and my husband and Im not as tired or cranky with mum.

eris

Aug 31, 2011
Shropshire
Hey all
I work in a day centre for people with a dementia. The.age ranges from around 65 to over 90.
I have been there for over three years and have noticed that
The newer visitors are getting younger.
I love the work i.do and I love the people I work with. Some people are horrified by the thought of mixing with people with a dementia, but they are the most amazing group I have ever interacted with. It's hard work, yes, 7 hours a day, but its also the most rewarding job I have ever done and not only do I get to know my group, I know that its valuable 'me' time for their carers.

Houdley

Feb 13, 2011
Buckinghamshire
My MIL refuses to go to any Day Centres. She is 91 yrs old and says that Day Centres are full of old people!

I find that the Day Centres in our borough are only available during the working week and typically they start at 10am and finish at 3pm. Impossible for me to take my MIL because I work.

In addition, our borough is starting to close down its Day Centres and is creating a Hub centre instead.

On a positive note, in my line of work I visit an Alzheimer's Day Centre for early onset dementia (under 65 years), which is located in a neighbouring borough. I give hand or foot reflexology and aromatherapy hand or upper back massages to the "service users". I find that they are very appreciative of their reflexology and aromatherapy treatments and look forward to me coming in. I look forward to seeing them too and to catching up with their news. Also, the staff at the Day Centre are very welcoming, friendly and helpful to everyone.

I am always amazed at the differences in the help that people with dementia and their carers receive in that borough compared to our borough, where MIL and my OH and I (as carers) receive no help at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968