Day Centres

What is/was your experience of day centres for people with dementia?

• Positive [patient was under 65]

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Negative [patient was under 65]

Votes: 15 7.0%
  • Positive [patient was over 65]

Votes: 88 41.1%
  • Negative [patient was over 65]

Votes: 26 12.1%
  • I have no experience of day centres

Votes: 53 24.8%
  • There are no day centres within reach

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • There are no places available at the local day centre

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

Gemini2

Sep 9, 2008
Staffordshire
My husband attends a day care centre 5 days a week. It is my lifeline. It is an Age Concern centre and the staff are really caring and patient. They really try to stimulate their clients to maintain their interest ie playing cards, draughts, musucal bingo, etc. David likes it there although he believes he has been to work and has been welding all day! I just wish he could attend weekends too as he finds it difficult to settle at home becaause his routine is disrupted.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Et tu, Brute?

As Julius Caesar may or may not have said:

Et tu, Brute?

We are all the same, deep down, all struggling to work out the WHY and the WHEN and the WHERE and the WHO and above all else the WHYWHENWHEREWHO,

If you crack it, Brutus, then please let us all know.

I for one will place that crown on your head! A crown of glory, not a crown of thorns.

?

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
If this helps anyone......

My husband had a day centre placement..and could have had this for 2 days a week.....I as his his carer would have been over the moon IF it was beneficial to both of us.

It wasn't.

A)...the transport to take him there turned up too early...he was never ready...so I would take him in later.

B)...The Day Centre didn't really meet his needs. As a result of this....following our latest assessment by Social Services...I now have an extra 4 hours of care for my husband to replace the Day Centre...and as it's classed as "Carer's Respite"...I don't have to pay.

It's not ideal....I did appreciate the times my husband went to the Day Centre so that I could have quiet time at home.
But given his condition and our circumstances I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Now it's in place I will try to use it for my own benefit...

After Christmas I'll work out what that is...:rolleyes:

Love gigi xx

bucko

Jan 28, 2009
Widnes
Day Centre Visit

(Just got off the telephone to the Social Worker who informs us there is a place at a day centre for John on a Thursday from 10.30 am to 2.30 pm. Why can't I speak to a SW without getting emotional. I just don't think they understand the situation. They have agreed for John and I to visit on Thursday to get a feel of the centre and its activities and after some persuasion John has agreed to this. He is not having too bad a day today, but come Thursday - well we can only give it a try.

bucko

Jan 28, 2009
Widnes
Cay Centres

This day centre is not for John, he said he is not a geriatric, doesn't like cards, dominoes or jigsaws. The average age was 80 I was embarrassed at his attitude. He is not normally like that. The Assistants did try to make some suggestions but to no avail. I am persuing other avenues and have made a suggestion involving Colleges and perhaps schools that may assist the care centre with template materials that do not require hand powered tools that can be made into articles that the cared for, who various interests, i.e., painting, sewing, model making or woodwork could get involved in. This would require the support of someone with instruction technique skills. Once I have seen to Johns needs, I hope to spend more time looking into this.

bets daughter

Feb 15, 2009
devon
i work in a day centre

We care for under 65s and over 65s who have varying degrees of dementia, we only have 25 service users a day, we provide bathing ,to help stimulate staff carry out simple chair exercises also orientation , reminisance theraphy ,by means of games ,music ,craft, cooking etc .our unit is secure so safe .The service does not suit all but with a little adjusting may be the day/ group they attend some times makes the difference to the persons enjoyment or even agreeing to attend.
it is a very different experience caring at work, than caring for my own mum.

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi, my mum has been attending a LA day care centre thats housed in a LA care home, she loves going and enjoys everything about it, she goes 2 days a week with are what they call there frail
days, the SW thought if mum went on the dementia days mum may not settle so well and not have as many people to talk to,
She was there yesterday and couldn't wait to get there today to finish her easter bonett.:D

purtycat

Feb 13, 2009
surrey
I have worked in a few day centres , it was such a rewarding job and friendly places , i wish my mum could have gone to one

Suzy Boo

Aug 14, 2009
Cumbria
Facilities available in different towns

When Mum was first diagnosed with vascular dementia and lived at home she was offered a place at a Day Centre 3 days a week, they collected her on a mini bus and she tried it a few times but was not happy at all. After living with us for a while and when I felt she had settled in they suggested she try it in our area. The first few times I went along stayed for a little while and then left for her to come home in the taxi later, she loves it and now goes to the "Alzheimers Club" two full days and one half day. Also recently they have found a place for her to go to a day care centre one day a week as well. This care they have arranged for her is a godsend as her condition deteriorates, we are so fortunate in this area with the facilities we have available. I realise this is not countrywide.

Beezed

Apr 28, 2009
Southampton
Day care centre has lost contract

Hi
My Mum has been attending a fantastic day care centre for the past year. The staff are so welcoming and always ready to listen to any concerns I have and are very supportive.
I found out recently that the LA have given their contract to another provider who I probably should not name. Anyway, the contract runs out on 31st of this month and to date nobody has informed clients or staff about what is to happen to them. It is even unclear if they have organised an alternative premises.
I attended a meeting at the centre recently where social services were present. It was so sad to see these dignified elderly people being fobbed off with vague information. One gentleman in particular was very upset as he said it gave his wife a break from caring for him.
As my mother is self-funding she goes there as a private client so I don't think social services will be banging my door down with an alternative. Where will the lovely staff go? What about the other clients who depend on this valuable service?
I just think it is a disgrace that people can be treated like this because another (larger) organisation tendered for the contract with a cheaper price.
Sorry, rant over. I am just so upset about it as it is a lifeline for Mum and I. It is the only thing that seems to bring her out of her shell anymore.
Thank you for reading.
Jeanne.

Sioux

Apr 10, 2009
I managed to secure a place for MIL in a small day center (not LA who were their usual unhelpful selves). What a lovely family atmosphere the 'Club' has. And what a shame that MIL is refusing to go to a place where everyone is so valued and respected. My heartfelt thanks go out to the staff who tried so hard to make MIL comfortable with them. She was such a sociable lady who enjoyed the company of others - just another part of her personality disappearing to this dreadful disease.

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Mum looks forward to going

Mum has been atending our local day centre one day a week since April and has just started to attend for a second day (last week) and I must admit I thought it would not last but she looks forward to going ( although she gets very anxious in the am's when she is getting out of bed and getting ready to go). Eventually it will go up to 5 days (I hope this does not sound greedy:eek:)

dibber

Nov 3, 2009
Kent UK
My mum was very very reluctant at first at attending the local day care centre as she was the one who used to be the helper not the one who needed help but after a little encouragement and a couple of visits before she actually went she decided to give it a go and much to our amazement she enjoyed it..as she used to arrange a lot of things in the village where she lives she knows a lot of the people who attend and work there..

The day care centre is at the top of the road where she lives but as she walked the wrong way home a couple of times social services have suggested we get someone from the centre to walk her to and home from the centre which currently we are trying to arrange

At the moment mum goes one day a week she did try two days but as it was two days running she said she didn't like it but now it has been suggested she goes on a monday and wednesday which she has said she would try..so we will see...

catlady

Mar 1, 2010
My Mum is 84 and has been diagnosed with vascular dementia about 6 six year ago now. Mum goes to a day centre on a Thursday and a Saturday so that my Dad has some free time as he is her sole care at 82! I think the day centre Mum is in is very good and the volunteers and teams all seem dedicated. Mum comes home from there and tells us that she has been to work all day! :)

Kara

Oct 11, 2010
County Durham
The majority of day centres in our area are in private nursing homes and from what I can gather not many activities are on offer. The best one is funded by the local council and the funding is under review. Why can't they see that there is a need for good quality day care.

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I believe that day centres may well have their place for some people. However, in our case, FIL refused to go along for years and then when he eventually did he did not understand what was happening. He said that people were shouting numbers at him etc, probably bingo. Carers at the day centre (in a care home that did not cater for people with dementia) did not understand him either which didn't help. Maybe if he had gone along in the early stages he may have benefitted. He only went to this centre once!

starman

Jan 5, 2011
Israel
Here in Israel there are regular old-age day centers and there is also an organization called Melabev that runs day centers specifically for Alzheimer and other dementias. My mum attends one of their centers and I am very satisfied.

sparrow10

Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
I took Mum to one of our local day centres and stayed with her whilst everyone sat in the lounge awaiting the staff to run a general knowledge (very simple) quiz. Rather mixed group of people ranging from one AD sufferer, who would not communicate with anyone, to several wheelchair bound stroke clients.
Unfortunatley there were only 3 maybe 4 vocal or more lively members in the group (only consisted of about 12 clients in all). The lady with AD stared into space the whole time, which was in my direction, this quite upset Mum. When I made arrangements for us to have another another visit on a different day, she flatly refused to return. So Mum's experience and mine of day centres has not been positive, but to be fair maybe she is not ready for this stage yet.

Last edited: