1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    My husband attends a day centre.
    The invoices are addressed to him, and I pay them by cheque from our joint account.
    The company that runs the day centre have asked me to supply them with a copy of the POA.
    I have never heard this mentioned anywhere before, and always assumed that it was just banks and financial institutions that required this.
    Anyone had any experience of this, please?

2. Onlyme

Onlyme Registered User

Apr 5, 2010
    UK
    It might be a new thing as Mum's place are now asking for a POA as well.

3. jan.s

jan.s Registered User

Sep 20, 2011
    Could it be linked to confidential information? That they need to be sure they're discussing personal matters with somebody who has the legal right to know.

I too find it strange, but I think sadly these days, it's something that is more prevalent, I would guess through fractured families. Only my thoughts.

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Very strange - i've never been asked.

5. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    Have always been asked for POA where payments are involved. It was the first thing we did when diagnosed. Fortunately my OH was very cooperative in having it done. Hoping to do it for me too to prevent any future problems.

6. jan.s

jan.s Registered User

Sep 20, 2011
    I have just completed my forms and am almost ready to send them off! I had POA for my late husband and would hate to leave my affairs in a mess.

7. Jinx

Jinx Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    Pontypool
    Had to provide POA when I wanted to change address on our gas servicing with British Gas. Already being paid from joint account which didn't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

8. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    Most of our household bills are in his or our joint names, and are paid from the joint account.
    It would never occur to me that a utility company for example would need a copy of the POA, so I was surprised that the care company requested it.
    I have always understood it to be an important and sensitive document, only usually needed by banks really, or for investment purposes.
    Maybe it is a new thing, as Onlyme says.

9. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

....and if you refused ? Would that then mean they wouldn't take the cheque you were writing?

Crazy! As long a the bill is paid, what on earth does it matter if the person has a POA?

10. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    The strangest thing I came across is that HMRC refused to accept my husband's self assessment return which I had completed and signed on his behalf saying that I had LPA and sending a photocopy. They refused to accept it and said they must have the original or a certified copy and I was trying to pay them money!