day care

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Thank you for writing this, Maguerite. We had prepared Mum very carefully all week leading up to her first day at Day Care last week, everything arranged well by our SW. Mum was very anxious, complaining of being unwell, and I wrote a last minute note to the Centre manager so that they would know. This was like writing to the children's teacher, 'please excuse my child from PE as ...'.

But in the end, transport failed to turn up, having waited from 8.30am to 10.15am. Transport blamed the SW, but it wasn't her fault. You can imagine how we felt.

I'm not certain if the Centre caters specifically for AD, as from what I saw, many there seemed very capable (though we know, don't we, that looks can be very deceptive!).

I know. Mum made something at her other group, and gave it to me. I almost choked with the grief of it, but she enjoyed the praise we showered upon her.

Yes, we are now getting the support we need, and I have only TP to thank for planting ideas and showing me the way forward. I'm sorry you didn't get that to begin with, but hope things are better for you now. How is your Mum at the moment?

Thanks for sharing ....

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Mum in a care home at the moment only while my brother stays with me till he gets housing support, as I was looking after mum & my brother who has a mental illness.

Before mum was diagnosed with AZ my dad died so she went abroad to live with her sister taking my brother with her so I brought her back few years ago after getting diagnosed with AZ in Spain (Gibraltar) got her the right treatment out there & brought her back home with me to live me & the kids I have no partner . we Devoiced 4 years ago just before my dad died .she seem on a level now my brother back with us as mum sister died over Christmas mum sister was looking after him .

Mum is aware of her surrounding & knows she only staying in the care home for a few weeks till brother gets housing support, not sure what stage she at as the medication she is on is slowing it all down mum can go to the toilet herself needs a frame to help her walk & would sleep all day .she make me laugh as she says that you think I am sleeping but I am not ,but needs help with every thing else.

At the care home mum realize people are worse then her, the doctor there was asking her the year we are in & who is the prime mister & when she was born she did not no, so she has me writing it all down ready for when he ask again.

That’s why I think its good that she go in to a care home ,day centres other wise she would just stay in her own world (mind ) sleep all day (at home with me) wake up for food & go back to sleep & not relishing what is happening around her days passing day .

She could not believe it was the year 2006 & it has been 4 years since dad died.

If I can remember from your first post you been looking after your mum for 6 mouths? (I type all this in Microsoft word as my spelling are not good)

My mum is 76 how old is your mum & how is your mum? if you don’t mind me asking

Last edited:

Lulu

Nov 28, 2004
Thought I'd just tell you about how much Mum seems to be enjoying her time at daycare -how I wish I'd started it earlier! She constantly amazes me at how she seems happy to go along with whatever I throw at her! As if these things are the most natural things in the world.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Lulu, thanks for the up-date, and I'm pleased (for you both) that it's going well.
Also, it's encouraging for anyone else facing those decisions for the first time.