Day care - advice please

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Mick has reached the stage where it would be helpful if he could go for day care once a week or fortnight but ideally somewhere where there would be things for him to do as he is still active. He doesn't need personal care as such but he doesn't like me out of his sight so there are no breaks for me.
Does anyone know ways of finding if there is anything available like this in the area?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Mick has reached the stage where it would be helpful if he could go for day care once a week or fortnight but ideally somewhere where there would be things for him to do as he is still active. He doesn't need personal care as such but he doesn't like me out of his sight so there are no breaks for me.
Does anyone know ways of finding if there is anything available like this in the area?

what you need is you local care services directory for your county if you are self funding i just got sent this as i know what we are looking for but loads of agencies and homes and daycare in it

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I hope you manage to find day care in your area. A number of years ago hubby went to day care one day a week and it was great for him and for me too. Sadly his health deteriorated so that he became unable to attend and since then he has been housebound. There is a dementia day care but he cannot go there as his general health is too poor for him to be accepted.

When attending day care he was picked up from home approx. 9.30/9.45 am and returned home just after 3pm. We paid by direct debit for the day care and he paid in cash for his lunch.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
This might be useful too

https://www.carers.org/local-service/northampton

The carers organisations are usually really good at signposting and you can also often help you check that you are getting Attendance Allowance and the other things you are entitled too eg a Carers Assessment which may give you free access to a day centre such as Crossroads (or may not !!!) see below carers trust

The carers cafes are also really good

and these people in our area are amazingly helpful
http://www.carerstrustem.org/day-centres

hope this helps

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex

John used to go to various Day Clubs. Some were part of Age Concern, which I think is now called Tapestry, another one was run by the Local Authority specifically for people with Dementia, another type was open for anyone over 50, as a sort of social club, but with extra facilities for those who needed them.

I paid for him to attend, and though he could have been collected and brought home, he preferred me to take and collect him. To begin with, it was like a child at nursery for the first time. I'd stay a while, then sneak out, but after a few weeks, I just used to take him in, and he was OK about me leaving.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
This might be useful too

The carers organisations are usually really good at signposting and you can also often help you check that you are getting Attendance Allowance and the other things you are entitled too eg a Carers Assessment which may give you free access to a day centre such as Crossroads (or may not !!!) see below carers trust

hope this helps

Thanks fizzie. This looks good but unfortunately it doesn't exist in our area, East Yorkshire.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Our Alzheimer's society care person came to see us on Thursday bringing with her the name of a day care centre fairly close to us. Mick had been very negative with me when I tried to discuss it with him but he agreed reluctantly with our visitor that it was worth looking at. So, with her here, I rang and made an appointment for the 3 of us to go and visit the centre next Friday to see if he would like to go there or be willing to go there. Watch this space!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Our Alzheimer's society care person came to see us on Thursday bringing with her the name of a day care centre fairly close to us. Mick had been very negative with me when I tried to discuss it with him but he agreed reluctantly with our visitor that it was worth looking at. So, with her here, I rang and made an appointment for the 3 of us to go and visit the centre next Friday to see if he would like to go there or be willing to go there. Watch this space!

Good luck Sweetie xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thanks Scarlett. I know you'll be there for me to tell whatever happens.

Every inch of the way. :) I couldn't have coped without the support of everyone here on TP, who have propped me up so many times. I've now got through the first year being a widow, after caring for my husband for 12 years and I couldn't have made it without all my lovely cyber friends.

As I've said numerous times, friends in the Real World can never understand what it's really like caring for someone with AD, compared with those on TP, who've been through it or are going through it.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
This might be useful too

hope this helps
i am really sorry I had a brain blip on area when yours quit clearly says Yorkshire....so sorry x Thinking of you x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins