Day care a success

Quakeroat1

Jan 1, 2017
Scarborough
I'm going in to day care again today and I've got my photos ready 1 of me 1 of me at work and 1 at my wedding to Jackie at the beach huts.

Quakeroat1

Jan 1, 2017
Scarborough
My day went well again and my painting has improved too. Talked to 2 others with dementia and heard their stories of how they got funding for day care...here's hoping and praying.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hope today was as big a success as your last visit.
Did you get to show / discuss your photos?
I collected my dad from his day care this afternoon to take him to the eye clinic- he was so chuffed- a 20p game of bingo and he won 32.80- the delight on his face you would have thought it was millions! (Still didn't chip in for the taxi fares,tho!)
Best wishes for a long and rewarding time at day care
Ros
photos ready 1 of me 1 of me at work and 1 at my wedding to Jackie at the beach huts.[/QUOTE]

Quakeroat1

Jan 1, 2017
Scarborough
Thanks folks I'm waiting with baited breath....no the photos are yet to be put on the wall. I'm finding everyone so interesting and a new volunteer came in today seemed very nice says she will enjoy chatting with me next week.

Quakeroat1

Jan 1, 2017
Scarborough
Didn't go as well and it was a lovely day and so I asked to go out....was denied instant access to the garden it was almost 2 hours later after excuses I finally got outside.
This has thrown a whole new light on the place and my lack of liberty

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Didn't go as well and it was a lovely day and so I asked to go out....was denied instant access to the garden it was almost 2 hours later after excuses I finally got outside.
This has thrown a whole new light on the place and my lack of liberty

I am sure that was very frustrating, Quakeroat. But if you look at it from their point of view, it may be that there are people there who are a lot less able than you? So maybe it takes time to organise things so it would be safe for them too. The insurance on Centres like this must be very high, and they have to have a certain ratio of staff/volunteers to people attending so maybe they needed to wait until someone could keep an eye, in case you fell? While you might be highly unlikely to fall, another person attending might, and they have rules in place to cover things like not allowing any of the people attending the Centre out in the garden unless a member of staff is available to keep an eye on them?

Maybe you could talk to your Social Worker or the Manager at the Centre, and explain that you have been really enjoying it, but that you found not being able to go out very frustrating, and felt as if you were not free?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Quakeroat

Everything Lady A has said is true and logical but , as someone who can feel claustrophobic, I do understand how you must have felt. A breath of fresh air could have worked wonders.

Whatever the reason for the delay, making you wait two hours is too long.

Please don`t let it put you off the Day Care Centre. You have had some good times there and this is the first challenge I think you have faced.

Now is the time to talk to someone who is aware of the situation you found yourself in and how the staff responded.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi
As grannie g said,this is the first set back,not let it take over.
Maybe next week,if the weather is suitable,ask/ tell someone in charge that you would like to go outside as soon as possible.
It maybe there are more helpers before lunch,for example,so that would be a suitable time,or they may be able to allocate a helper to be around-especially if there are others who may like to be outside for a while.
Think of this as a small niggle that you will get sorted-maybe not straight away,but with perseverance you will do it.
Ros

Quakeroat1

Jan 1, 2017
Scarborough
Thanks u guys I appreciate the help u are trying to give me . I have another idea which has been suggested to me of Art Psychotherapy I can be considered for that, I may like it as much.
My friends met me for coffee this morning and both said they had one word Admiration ! I asked them in what context they said it was for me they both had it, I felt very blessed.

Quakeroat1

Jan 1, 2017
Scarborough
I have been taking to the person who operates all the art sessions she asked me which day was better for me.
She will ring back when she has a date for me to start.
Apparently it works to ease the stress and anxiety so we will see , I would stand in the corner for an hour on my head if she said that would work.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
QUakerOat - stick with your Day Care Centre and enjoy your art. In a previous life I worked for 16 years as and Art/Craft Tutor and I loved it and the people I worked with. It was a joy to meet people who said "I can't draw a straight line." and watch them go on to do delicate watercolour paintings, collages or join a group project like rag rug making.

Some day centres can be a bit regimented but as far as I could make out it was usually for the safety of the "clients" (their choice of word not mine). We used to have a couple of people who wanted a smoke mid morning and obviously they had to go outside to do so but the staff weren't happy about this in case they fell or took ill while they were out there.

Another idea might be to see whether you can find somebody locally who would like to come and paint with you at your home or even see whether your budget will pay for 1-1 tutiton with a tutor.

Thing is with a day centre, you see more new faces, you will get a nice lunch and drinks and it's a change of venue.

I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment from your new hobby. Xx

Tiny1

Apr 26, 2017
I'm so pleased for you having a good day and enjoying yourself xx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain