Day by day

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@jennifer1967 I would like hubby to go to the local men’s shed, but he is not a great joiner and does not cope will with too many people at a time. So not sure that it would work for him.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@jennifer1967 I would like hubby to go to the local men’s shed, but he is not a great joiner and does not cope will with too many people at a time. So not sure that it would work for him.
with mine it was gradual and the fact its cheaper than day centres etc. hes having problems with numbers but he was so bored at home and frustrated. he has COPD so really cant do much but it will do something now and again. there is no pressure on him to do anything. they do know he has dementia but doesnt affect anything.

Libbybookworm

Apr 6, 2018
My OH goes to Men's Shed two mornings a week. He'd never been a DIYer but now pulls nails out of pallets and sloshes paint about. He listens to the banter, even though he can't join in and has coffee and cake. It's the only thing he enjoys these days.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My OH goes to Men's Shed two mornings a week. He'd never been a DIYer but now pulls nails out of pallets and sloshes paint about. He listens to the banter, even though he can't join in and has coffee and cake. It's the only thing he enjoys these days.
mine is the shed wind up merchant. he did sand a bit of fence. sorted the tools out. he goes 2 mornings a week. he doesnt have to be shoe horned out of bed on those mornings.

Libbybookworm

Apr 6, 2018
mine is the shed wind up merchant. he did sand a bit of fence. sorted the tools out. he goes 2 mornings a week. he doesnt have to be shoe horned out of bed on those mornings.
My husband has been issued a special apron but still comes home with Battleship Grey up to his armpits. Every morning he asks if it's Men's Shed day; if not, it's back under the covers.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My husband has been issued a special apron but still comes home with Battleship Grey up to his armpits. Every morning he asks if it's Men's Shed day; if not, it's back under the covers.
yep mine has a badge with his name on. hes the same and tells me off if i havent got him up when he thinks its mens shed day.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hubby had one of his really bad dreams during the night, shouting and kicking out. I gently woke him up, reassured him and then he went back to sleep. When he finally woke this morning he had no recollection of what happened. Sometimes he does remember and is really distressed.
This is one of the really upsetting aspects of Lewy Body both for the PWD but also the carer. Fortunately this is not such a regular occurrence as it used to be. Now I am shattered so going to take things easy.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you @Grannie G. It can be so dangerous as the PWD can act out the dream. My hubby fell out of bed twice in the early stages because he dreamt that he was fighting a war in Africa and was rolling down a hill to escape. The most extreme case I read about was in the USA where a PWD thought he was under attack and used a gun and killed someone.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Having a chat with hubby yesterday afternoon and all of a sudden he said to me that he is aware that he has moments of confusion and had I noticed that.
I try to be honest where I can and said that I had but that mostly they were fleeting and a part of LBD.
He then just changed subject to his favourite topic, planning what to do in our garden.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH has moments of lucidity too, but they never last more than about half an hour.
Its very discombobulating. I think you made the best response.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@canary Hubby is not confused all of the time, his main problems are with his short term memory, nightmares, confabulation etc. But just sometimes I can see in his face that he is just totally confused and out of it for a while. When he is like that he can get quite upset. And then just as fast forgets it ever happened.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
So tonight in quick succession I have been told that I am caring and wonderful, nasty and then patronising. Not bad for a 10 minute time span. Oh the joys.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I am totally exhausted today. Hubby was in a dreadful mood for most of the day yesterday and said some really awful, hurtful things to me. I try to be positive but yesterday and today all I can see is a bleak future.
And it’s no good saying anything to hubby as he has now forgotten what he said and is back to his usual self.
Just feeling sorry for myself but will soon put it behind me - until the next time.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you @Izzy, family and friends say they understand but they don’t really, only people on here truly understand.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
sorry the day was hard. if they get up in a mood, it generally carries on. we went out saturday and he started moaning. i told him i will go home so he shut up and in the end was happy. hope tomorrow will be a better day and you are not feeling sorry for yourself. its hard when there are no breaks