Day 10 without fluids

dianemb

Aug 17, 2006
My poor Mum, i can hardly bear it anymore just sitting looking at her, wiping her head, whispering in her ear, hoping praying :( :(

its now Day 10 without fluids for my Mum (aged 71 with Lewy Body dementia)
this is agony just watching her fade away
I just did not believe someone could fight on this long without fluids

what is happening-

help
Diane x

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
dianemb said:
My poor Mum, i can hardly bear it anymore just sitting looking at her, wiping her head, whispering in her ear, hoping praying :( :(

its now Day 10 without fluids for my Mum (aged 71 with Lewy Body dementia)
this is agony just watching her fade away
I just did not believe someone could fight on this long without fluids

what is happening-

help
Diane x

Dear, dear Diane,
What an agony this is for you. Several years ago I worked in a job where I was in regular contact with people dying in this way, and your experience (albeit horrible and grim from your point of view) is not unusual. I was always amazed at the tenacity with which some human beings cling to life, long after there is any evidence that they are even aware they ARE alive.

I've seen people die a few hours after being taken off fluids, and others who have survived very much longer. I wish deeply for you that the end comes soon because your anguish and those of the people who love your mother must be unbearable.

Your strength in being there for her is a testament to your humanity, your grace and dignity in the worst of circumstances, and your mother would be so proud of your strength at this time. I know you will not recognise this for yourself now, but maybe when it is all over . . .

And Diane, it WILL be all over soon. Just as it seems that you will never see an end to this heartbreak, she will slip away.
My heart goes out to you and my thoughts are with you.
Nell