Day 10 of no food or fluids ..

Confused12

Aug 9, 2012
Thankyou everyone ️xxx
Jbob, im sorry to hear of your ongoing situation, it's similar to the one my mum has been through. I was told that the patient/resident won't feel thirsty or in need of a drink. You're not killing him off, it's end stage dementia and it is horrible. When my mum was diagnosed with frontal temporal dementia, I googled the hell out of it. From having my grandad, mums dad, having vascular dementia and dying of pneumonia after choking on food, I knew the common theme was not swallowing or choking in dementia sufferers and I knew it's how my mums life would end if there wasn't any other health issues.

My mum slept, almost constantly for 19 days. Her breathing kept changing then going back to normal. All I can say, is what you probably know. Talk, don't leave anything unsaid, play music, whatever you want to do. all you can do is your best xxx

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Thankyou everyone ️xxx
Jbob, im sorry to hear of your ongoing situation, it's similar to the one my mum has been through. I was told that the patient/resident won't feel thirsty or in need of a drink. You're not killing him off, it's end stage dementia and it is horrible. When my mum was diagnosed with frontal temporal dementia, I googled the hell out of it. From having my grandad, mums dad, having vascular dementia and dying of pneumonia after choking on food, I knew the common theme was not swallowing or choking in dementia sufferers and I knew it's how my mums life would end if there wasn't any other health issues.

My mum slept, almost constantly for 19 days. Her breathing kept changing then going back to normal. All I can say, is what you probably know. Talk, don't leave anything unsaid, play music, whatever you want to do. all you can do is your best xxx

Thank you confused12 its so hard to watch not helped by family members not happy with the situation (like we are??) I hope you are okay? He's hanging on I dont know how he stopped eating over 2 weeks ago and fluids were stopped 6 days ago. He's only 64 though maybe his body isn't ready but his brain is? Take care everyone x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
P.S. As I was looking for poems online today for my mum's eulogy, I came across this one which I think is lovely... I thought I'd share here for you confused 12 and to all lost loved ones x

Weep Not For Me

By an Unknown Author

Weep not for me though I have gone
Into that gentle night
Grieve if you will, but not for long
Upon my soul’s sweet fight

I am at peace, my soul’s at rest
There is no need for tears
For with your love I was so blessed
For all those many years

There is no pain, I suffer not
The fear is now all gone
Put now these things out of your thoughts
In your memory I live on

Remember not my fight for breath
Remember not the strife
Please do not dwell upon my death
But celebrate my life

I just love this, and send my heartfelt sympathies to you all who are suffering the loss of your loved ones, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Weep Not For Me

By an Unknown Author

Weep not for me though I have gone
Into that gentle night
Grieve if you will, but not for long
Upon my soul’s sweet fight

I am at peace, my soul’s at rest
There is no need for tears
For with your love I was so blessed
For all those many years

There is no pain, I suffer not
The fear is now all gone
Put now these things out of your thoughts
In your memory I live on

Remember not my fight for breath
Remember not the strife
Please do not dwell upon my death
But celebrate my life

I just love this,
It is indeed a wonderful poem.

Joey's girl

May 15, 2017
I am having exactly the same worries

Poor Mum is 91. She stopped eating real foods a week ago and is surviving on 1 to 2 cups of liquid a day and a cup of jelly. Suddenly, Mum started sleeping through the night. Before no medication could keep her asleep. Dad and I were up so much at night with her. Now she can't even push to do a bowel movement or stand. It is distressing and cruel . I , also, wish Mum could find some peace and have some dignity

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Poor Mum is 91. She stopped eating real foods a week ago and is surviving on 1 to 2 cups of liquid a day and a cup of jelly. Suddenly, Mum started sleeping through the night. Before no medication could keep her asleep. Dad and I were up so much at night with her. Now she can't even push to do a bowel movement or stand. It is distressing and cruel . I , also, wish Mum could find some peace and have some dignity

Welcome to TP :)

It's so hard to watch our loved ones fade. I wish you strength.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Welcome to the forum patricia. It's very hard to watch someone we love fading away like this. Keep coming back as often as you need to. There are lots of us here who have been through and know what you are going through. Wishing you strength.

Cathy54

May 31, 2017
My mom is only taking sips of soup

Mum (72) has been in bed since December, taking in little food or fluids,10 days ago she stopped swallowing and its mouthcare only. She constantly sleeps day and night, she has had mottled skin for two days. I am exhausted as I have been here everyday and I genuinly can't see any ending in sight even though it will come. I love my mother with all my heart but the carers and myself are bewildered at how she continues to carry on x

I can relate to you at this difficult time. I cared for Mom for 13 years before she entered hospice in a skilled nursing facility. She has almost completely stopped eating, but somehow lingers on. Perhaps it will be of help to you to know that I too am experiencing anxiety about the timing of her death. I realize that God is in control of her timeline, but can barely stand the waiting. My mother was my best friend and I know with certainly that she would not want to live for long in her current state.