Day 1 on the nursing home

carolr

Jul 12, 2007
bradford
Good Morning All

I managed to get away from work an hour early last night so I got to the nursing home at just after 4, my Dad was sitting on his own in the dining room with a bowl of soup in front of him which he was eating. There were several staff serving other residents one of which said that she was in charge of Dad but would leave him now that I was there. She watched us quite alot and made notes on how I reminded him and got him to eat three of his sandwiches and then 6 biscuits that had been brought for me ha ha. They asked loads of questions about his likes and dislikes all the answers were written down. Dad had been playing dominoes that afternoon with his nurse and had won!! Next was a visit to his room the photos I had brought had not been put of on the wall we were told that we couldnt do it due to the pipes however his bedding had been changed to a quilt as requested the room was fresh and welcoming. The owner came to see me said that Dad was a gem and whilst they would monitor him very closely just now he felt that he would fit right in the fact that he took the time to talk to me was a good feeling also he shook Dads hand when he entered the room and Dad responded very well to him. Fingers crossed for us please, they seem to be lacking in some things like the keypad number being next to the door but in caring so far so good.

maria29al

Mar 15, 2006
Warwickshire
Hello,

I will certainly keep my fingers crossed for you. I am about to do the same with Mum and I realise how difficult it all is. I dont think anywhere will be "perfect" and a few minor teething problems are to be expected. However, I understand your concerns...I would be the same...they are our parents and we need to know we have done the best for them.

It is such a hard time...thinking of you

I am sure your Dad will be happy and cared for.

Hugs
M

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Carol,

It all sounds so much better than yesterday. It just shows that first impressions aren`t always right.

For a first day, your father sounds fine, and I hope it continues.

Dear Maria,

I hope you find somewhere good for your mother, somewhere that gives you confidence she will be well cared for.

Love xx

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Dear Carol

It seems that all is going well for your dad, fingers crossed it continues that way, and I'm sure it will.

Dear Maria

Just be brave, its a difficult road to travel, but you will get there.

Love

Cate

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Carol, it sounds as if your dad has settled well, and that must be such a weight off your mind. I hope he continues to be happy there.

Love,

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Carol,
I'll also cross my fingers that everything continues to please you. So far, things are looking very positive and this must be so pleasing. Hoping that your dad continues to settle well. Regards Taffy.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Carol,
It does sound like a nice place.

I wouldn't worry unduly about the code being next to the keypad. That's the same at the front door in my mother's home & it's more oriented to visitors than anyone else. 3 or 4 years ago my mother would have been unable to work it out even if the instructions were printed along with the code. Actually, ever since she was diagnosed, she would have been unable to carry that train of thought through.

There are always residents who can but there really aren't that many.

Digression here - am I the only person who often starts to say "inmates" instead of "residents"?