Dave rapid decline nov 2012

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
Its been a while since ive been on talking point, i simply eaither dont get time or not sure quite what to say. its been a year now that dave went into the nursing home and in that twelve monthes daves mobility has almost gone now he gets very confused and Very distressed. he can no longer feed himself as he cant hold the spoon but still manages finger foods. his swallowing of fluids isnt very good and there is talk of thickening these. his shaking is very bad and he is very rigid, staff have problems getting his clothes on and off. unfortunatly they have norovirus and i havnt been able to visit dave for over a week now he was very poorly but they reasure me he has recovered from that, they will not let me visit even though ive pleaded but enviromental health have closed home.. on the last consaltants visit he said he already knows dave has front temporal dementia and cortical basal degeneration, but it seems we will never really no. he has all the symptoms of parkinsons too and consaltant is reluctant to give dave any medication to ease the rigidity and trremours, they are very violent at times, he says mentally he would decline ?? it is like watching dave die a slow horrible death as he still indicates too shoot him and mentally he still knows whats happening. dave can still use his left hand and still beats everyone at 4 in a row, its just about the only thing he can do now, i could go on and on but want to look around to see whats been happening, love too you all lynne xxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Lynne - its good to hear from you but no so good to hear the news of Dave.
I am really sorry to hear of the deterioration and hope you get all the emotional support you need. Otherwise please come back to TP and hopefully you will find a lot of understanding here.

Not sure how long since you last looked in but there have been some changes. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting along.
Best wishes

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Lynne,

I was thrilled to see you online again. I was only thinking about you and Dave the other day and wondering how things were. Today here you are posting an update. It is so difficult when dealing with a progressive disease, a year can show just how things have progressed as is the case with Dave. I was pleased to read that he can still play 4 in a row and beat the lot of them:)

How are you? You have done everything you can to make sure that Dave got the best that was available but it was a lot of work as well as working and taking care of the family.

TP has also changed so much in a year. There are many, many new names and stories almost daily but I am glad that you will be remembered by the oldies like me.

Sending love and a (HUG)

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
it took me a long time to log on as i had forgotton my password lol, i think of all my OLD friends andhelen im only on page seven of your thread but get the gist of things and wish you well, you are so positive and you allways kept me going. i dont bring dave home as much now as its a bit traumatic and he cant stand without hoist and 2 people so its difficult with the pad changes etc. but he does wear a convene now so its a bit easier and he will come for the day christmas, if the home ever reopens:eek: im going to be a nannie again my younger daughter is ten weeks, im over the shock;) jessica is a delight and i look after her everyweek where she gets to see grandad. i still work 25 hours and wonder how i ever worked full time. daves care at the home is brilliant, we might be moving him to an even bigger room with a balcony, i can just see myself sitting there in the summer with dave watching the world i mean traffic go by:D

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Lynne,

I am amazed that you are able to bring Dave home at all. There are so many positives there thank goodness. The fact that the care home is wonderful is marvellous and just as it should be. I can envision you on the balcony but it is hard to envision a decent English summer after all the rain this year.

I am so jealous of your nannie status. Congratulations:) You might be sharing a nannie date with the Queen.

Let's just hope that the care home gets the all clear very soon. It is good to know that they are strict about this which is in your Dave's best interest.

Love

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
I feel sad for you

Lynne, I feel sad for you. My last year with Ray was much the same, slowly watching him lose his skills, his gentle and loving personalty fading away. But I cherish every one of those days I was able to spend with him now he is gone.

Lovely that you will be a nannie again, I have a five month old granddaughter Alice and she has been my delight when the going was tough. Looking at her reminds me that life goes on.

Sue.

Last edited:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I know of a home where at least one relative visited when the home was "closed" with norovirus. They told the relative they had to accept that if they got ill they would not accept liability. Can they really prevent you visiting?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello Lynne. I'm so sorry that things are not good for you just now. I am glad to see you back on TP though. x

Bodensee

Account Closed
Mar 30, 2012
Hello Donkey (Lynne),
When I read your thread I felt such saddness, to watch your loved one rapidly deteriorating without explanation I cant imagine the pain you must be going through, is this AD? and how old is your husband? Why is this happening. My heart goes out to you and dave

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Bodensee,

As Lynne has clicked off for the night and it may be quite a while before she is able to return I am taking the liberty of responding for her. If you click on her profile and go to all the threads that she has started you will get the information you require.

Love

Bodensee

Account Closed
Mar 30, 2012
Dear Bodensee,

As Lynne has clicked off for the night and it may be quite a while before she is able to return I am taking the liberty of responding for her. If you click on her profile and go to all the threads that she has started you will get the information you require.

Love

Sorry Helen I should have checked Lynnes threads although there a quite a few (1200) to date, I hope my questions were not intrusive, I just read her thread and it made me sad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar