1. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Doesn't make nice reading, does it?

I would be interested to see the figures the Mail article is based on. The fact that abuses have been found is hugely important, and they clearly need to be addressed urgently.

I'd want to know, however, what proportion of all cases reviewed contained abuse.

It is another of these things where families may be put in fear for their own relatives because of crude headline reporting.

thanks for highlighting it.

2. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    CSCI Report

While it doesn't give figures, I think you will find the full report here http://www.csci.org.uk/about_us/news/social_care_experts_tackle_iss.aspx

They have quoted respondents to a survey - many members of TP may have completed it - certainly they have quoted one of my comments there.

Makes interesting reading [from what I have seen so far] because it gives a bit of balance.

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    It`s horrible.

I hope it`s partly a case of Tabloid Journalism, but even if there`s one case, it`s one too many.

I did find by own mother strapped in a chair with a seat belt. Not because she was violent but because she wandered constantly. The telling factor was the guilt on the carer`s face when she saw me.

4. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    I'll bet!

Wandering is a common thing with dementia, until the condition gets to the point where they cannot do so because they lose the ability.

In my experience chair straps are only used when people may endanger themselves by falling out of a chair - or when they are being moved in a wheelchair.

Otherwise, to restrict wandering.. no, and I'd have been mad as anything if I had seen that with Jan or anyone else in her care home.

...all only in my opinion of course.

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I did inform SS, there was no CSCI then. There was an Inspection by SS and I was a very unpopular person. But to my knowledge, it didn`t happen again.

I lost faith in the home and eventually managed to move my mother to an excellent home.

But I thought the first home was going to be excellent too. :(

6. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    #7 CraigC, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
    Just read the article.
    I hope anyone who comes across this kind of abuse feels compelled to report it, please. Simply criminal in my humble opinion.

I know the Daily Mail is running a campaign to protect the elderly, but they find it hard to resist sensationalising these kind of issues. Not a particulary balanced report.

Thanks for the link Bruce

http://www.csci.org.uk/about_us/news/social_care_experts_tackle_iss.aspx

Feel much more informed about the issue now.

Kind Regards
    Craig