Daily Mail article

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
During the day of the Alzheimer's Conference on 27 February, I had a couple of long interviews with a freelance journalist from the Daily Mail. Since then she has also interviewed Nina briefly, for an article that looks at Jan's and my experiences with Jan's developing dementia, and at why I'm still around, basically.

Apparently the plan is to run the article in FeMail next week. When I find out the date of publication, I'll let people know.

I was very impressed with the care with which the journalist has handled this!

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
Publicity

hi Bruce,
It's nice when newspaper reporters really listen to you, last year our local evening paper got in touch with me and did a full page spread complete with photograph.
It was amazing how many people approached me and said it explained a lot to people not in the know.
Keep up the good work.
Aileen

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Very Moving

Hi Brucie

I've just read your article and would just like to say how moved I was.

I didn't realise what you had been through, with Jan getting AD so early in her life - it's very different to having a parent with AD, and the article has really brought home to me what life can be like when it's your partner. To be so despairing that you even contemplated ending it all, to where you are now Brucie, shows what a strong character you have. So glad that you had Nina to help you. I have to say, it brough a tear to my eye.

I'm sure a lot of people will take great comfort from it, to know that they are not alone.

Libs

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I must say how surprise I was as I was reading the daily mail just now to see someone that I thought look like Bruce in the paper , thought no it can’t be ! it take me 2 cups of coffee to really wake up, that teach me not to pop in hear more offten . must say what a lovely photo of Jan what a beautiful woman and what a lovely and sad story’s of both your life’s also surprise to read Jan was your first girlfriend and what a hard time you had getting Jan diagnosed with dementia I must go and see the film Away from her starring Julie Charistie UK release April 27.

It was also nice to read Nina feeling how she felt about it all And the circumstance that brought you both together , you both are so lucky to have and know each other so long and came together , I wish you both the best for the future , thanks you both for sharing

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Bruce, what a very moving article!

Sadly, it's not in the Scottish edition, but I've read it online (thanks for the link), and left a comment. (Got TP in too!)

Well done to you and Nina, and well done too to the reporter. It was very sensitively written.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A lovely article Bruce, moving, honest and true.

I asked my husband to buy the Mail, when he went for the papers, he came home with the Mirror, so I read it on line.

Thank you

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I am always full of admiration for people who put themselves in the media glare to raise awareness for any cause knowing that elements of ‘their story’ will raise some controversy and invite a personal backlash (warranted or not).

Well done Bruce for being brave enough to share so publicly - your honesty about your depression especially gave hope to some of us feeling we are still somewhere in that abyss - well done the Daily Mail for a very sensitive piece but most of all - well done Nina. Just my personal opinion, but I think BOTH Bruce and Jan are blessed to have such a special lady in their lives.

Love, Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hazel, has your comment been added yet? It can take several hours for comments to "clear".

Well done Bruce and Nina: a both heart-warming and poignant story.

Love

Jennifer

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I've just been back to the site -- my comment wasn't there, so I wrote another one -- Scorpio, you see, grimly determined!!

Whem I submitted it, there was a list that said the article had received 19 comments, although only 12 are shown. :confused: :confused: :confused:

We'll see.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Just been back, up to 27 comments now, only one negative. My second one has appeared. Wonder what I did wrong the first time?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I did look for it, Hazel, but couldn't find it.

Thanks, and to everyone who has been kind enough to post here and elsewhere!

I think Daily Mail did a pukka job!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hazel - just read your comment on the Mail site.

Thanks so much!

Now we just have to meet some time! [referring to sentence in the comment]

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
If there's one thing I've learned through the hell of the past 15 years, it is that you can never have TOO MANY good people to cope with. :)