Daily Hassles

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
This is the way we were taught to handle daily hassles on our stress management course.

It looks a bit complicated, but it does make sense. It's supposed to help eliminate stress-related aches and pains. It does work, I've tried!

Attachments

• Daily Hassles.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 643

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Hazel, I can see the sense and the logic. The difficulty is to have the strength and the discipline to apply it.

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Stress relief in muscles

I have a neck injury and stress increases the pain. My physios taught me lots of techniques to reduce the build up of stress in muscles.

One of my favourites is the one below that you can notice straight away - especially in your neck and shoulders (most common place for build up in tension).

When we sit we often place our hands palm down on our laps/knees. Assume this position - sit down with your hands palm down - now turn your hands so that your palms are facing up (but still keep them placed on your lap) you will notice that your shoulders will relax more. I do this quite often.

Another easy and quick tip - try not to rest your head on your hands - the correct position for your head and neck is with your chin slightly tucked in (imagine a piece of string at the top of your head towards the back pulling that bit up) - resting your head on your hands puts your posture in the wrong position and can add to tension later in the day.

The above are only suggestions - I am in no way medically trained - but if they help then I am happy to share with you.

Thanks for the notes on stress management - most useful.

Alison
x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There was a tip for correct posture, using a certain Technique, which is very similar to what you`ve just suggested, Alison.

It is to imagine your head is being held up by a helium balloon.

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Its amazing how little changes when they are implemented can make a great deal of difference. My injury was such that I lost over 50% of my neck movement. I now have 90% of it back - though I do have some "off" days (i.e. I haven't managed the triggers properly) most of the time if I stick to all the little changes then it is much better, though I did have 18 months of physio and that certainly helped.

Losing the bad habits is the hardest thing to do. Again, it boils down to discipline and finding the energy to make the changes and stick to them.

Posture is so important in helping to relieve stress, but equally those steps you have mentioned can help prevent the physical attributes of stress appearing.

Caring has got to be one of the most physically, emotionally and time demanding roles around. I see how stressed my Mum gets with Dad. I will try and share this with her when I speak to her next. Of course when you get so stressed even advice can seem like a further stress!

Its all very interesting stuff - especially when we get it to work!

Thanks

Alison

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Alison

My problem area is also my neck. When I get tense I get a trapped nerve, which produces excruciating pains up the left side of my face.

One of the tips I was taught was to try to move the shoulder-blades down and towards the spine, and hold it for a minute. It really does release the muscles.

Love,