Daily Carers and Coronavirus

wonderfulmum

Aug 20, 2015
Hi, I am concerned my mum has daily Carers every morning and I'm her now full time carer. Is it safe to continue with her daily Carers when they go visiting and attending to so many others, how do I keep mum and myself (I have asthma) safe.
My mind keeps thinking what if the carers catch it whilst doing their rounds and bring it into our home unwittingly.
I can keep myself and mum safe by keeping friends and family away but do I need to cancel carers whilst this is going on the o ensure our safety.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
This has crossed my mind also but if we keep family away and cancel carers then how will we have time to look after ourselves?

Im not sure I would have energy if I cancel the carers but its a very worrying time. Family are staying away for a number of weeks,

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I cannot cancels mums care visits, three days from agency carers and four days from her family as otherwise she would starve!

We have however cancelled our Mothers Day lunch at the pub and won't be taking mum to cafes for lunch. We will however go out for a walk with her as it would be unfair to lock her in the house when she has no understanding of what is going on.

And once her carers have left in the afternoon, she will still pop out to the local shop as she does every day.

Lulubelle74

Apr 16, 2018
My Dad is in a supported living block of flats. I need to visit him and another resident has regular carers. Both visits are necessary and intend to carry on for now. If the Govt wants to stop these visits, an awful lot of people would have to go straight into a home as they cannot be left unattended.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partner's daughter asked the same question yesterday. I have to hope that the carers we currently have are as professional and diligent as they have proved to be so far and wear gloves. I hope when the time comes the agency will be able to get masks. The prospect of staff shortages if anyone gets the disease from their own friends or family is worrying though, and one the best carers we have is in her 70s.
I notice you have asthma @wonderfulmum. Do you have anyone who can make sure you have inhalers delivered safely?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
carers have been given govt guidelines earlier than the public. Their access to protective wear is something the public doesn't have access to.
Government legislation for carers is akin to our NHS staff.
Realistically can family return to provide the care package long term & have access to protective wear & afford to purchase this.

Aged Mother has carers in 4 times a day, cancelling carers would mean suppling that level of care, still maintaining own home & ensuring the care package routine was seemlessly continued. Physically & mentally i cannot do this realistically neither could i cover the cost of retaining the carers.

It's not just cancelling the carers - the care package costs either has to be covered or cancelled. Thus cancelling the care means assessments financial etc would need to be applied for again. Putting a system already under pressure under extra strain.

We have a duty of care to our PWD, but we also have to be realistic in our decisions. Consider that you might become unwell, not through coronavirus but any other of the common health issues that affect us ....what happens to your PWD?

Hospital isn't an environment i'd like my Aged Mother to be exposed to & neither would it sit well with myself to put extra strain on a NHS that is overloaded & stressed.

So the question is - Do you have a suitable support system in place that can provide the care with experience in Dementia & other health care issues, that has access to medical grade protective equipment ?

Surely that's why we are using carers in the first place.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
our regular carer said some people are cancelling them and the rumour is that they may not get their hours back. Our carer seemed very insulted by being cancelled.

I dont think I could cope without help coming in.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
At a push I think I could manage without carers but it wouldn't be the best option and very tiring. I have asked all carers go directly to the spare bathroom to wash their hands and have paper towels for their use. I've also told them I don't want them in the house if they have even the slightest cough or sore throat or sniffle regardless of whether they suspect coronavirus or not.

I'm disappointed at the lack of communication from the care company. I would have expected some sort of 'we are doing everything we can to ensure the safety of our customers' at the very least.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I
At a push I think I could manage without carers but it wouldn't be the best option and very tiring. I have asked all carers go directly to the spare bathroom to wash their hands and have paper towels for their use. I've also told them I don't want them in the house if they have even the slightest cough or sore throat or sniffle regardless of whether they suspect coronavirus or not.

I'm disappointed at the lack of communication from the care company. I would have expected some sort of 'we are doing everything we can to ensure the safety of our customers' at the very least.
I haven’t received anything from dads either.

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
I received a detailed email from my Dad's care company early last week, setting out their policy on Covid 19. It was clear and very reassuring. As far as I know there have been no issues with them so far. Mum still gets her daily district nurse visit and the morning welfare carer call, these are NHS organised so following NHS guidance.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Before you cancel carers you may need to bare this in mind and this is the fact that when dad's Alzheimers was severe I cancelled the carers over the Easter holidays and when they came back he didn't recognise them. Hence he became very aggressive and eventually I had to get another agency and start preparing for a care home. Care agencies will be well aware of the risks and also I want to take the opportunity to say that I feel for you all on this forum in these times. Dad passed away in June last year and I remember trying to keep him occupied when the weather was too severe to take him out so how you can all keep your PWDs occupied if they have to stay in for a few months I don't know but my heart goes out to you.

MaNaAk

wonderfulmum

Aug 20, 2015
My partner's daughter asked the same question yesterday. I have to hope that the carers we currently have are as professional and diligent as they have proved to be so far and wear gloves. I hope when the time comes the agency will be able to get masks. The prospect of staff shortages if anyone gets the disease from their own friends or family is worrying though, and one the best carers we have is in her 70s.
I notice you have asthma @wonderfulmum. Do you have anyone who can make sure you have inhalers delivered safely?
Hi yes I have inhalers and have rang my doctor's to get repeat prescription sent to local chemist and rang chemist to ask them to process and deliver, bless you thanks for your concern.
A carer came the other day and though she was careful she told me a teacher at her son's school has been diagnosed which sent me off in all sorts of 'what if' directions.

wonderfulmum

Aug 20, 2015
This has crossed my mind also but if we keep family away and cancel carers then how will we have time to look after ourselves?

Im not sure I would have energy if I cancel the carers but its a very worrying time. Family are staying away for a number of weeks,
Yes I'm in exact the same boat it's very worrying. I'm also wary mum craves social interaction and hope she will settle for telephone calls, Skype and video Watsapp.
The strain of caring for a PWD is draining 24/7 with access to outdoors, but now in isolation is going to drain me for sure... One day at a time I guess. Everyone has their story too and I hope and pray we will all get through this somehow.