Dad's VD getting worse - Need some reassurance

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
Hi

It's been at least a month since i have posted a thread last one is on page 11 "Just a little help about my dad"
As he has had lots of water infections over the last couple of months his dementia has got worse, he keeps talking about the war.
The home is not helping, I was suppose to take him to his hospital appointment yesterday to have a check on his cataracts - hospital transport booked me there 2 hours before - BUT when I got there he was asleep in his chair with his pjs on could not find a pair of trousers in his wardrobe even though there were at least 6 pairs in there - yes they did have his name on - I could not wake him, his dinner arrived an hour later than normal but noone could wake him, I was made aware then that he has not slept during the night for the past 2 nights and he has become so confused he has even forgotten where his room is when he comes out. I am so mad because the home knew that he had an appointment yesterday but allowed him to be awake during the night, needless to say the nurses had to rearrange his appointment - he now has to wait until 4th september.
He has lost a hearing aid, and now he has lost his keys that he locks up his personal items, it is really getting me down, I felt like crying yesterday, I am living in a dream thinking what will I go to see when I see my dad next time I go?????
he has a graze on his leg and is complaining with pain there I have asked for the doc to look at this again, and have asked his GP to arrange a unrine sample to be sent to the hospital as he is showing signs of having a water infection but now when they test him it is coming up negative???

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Since your dad was sleeping during the day (which I assume wasn't usual) then I would suspect an infection too. My dad was showing signs of infection (drowsiness/confusion) although the urine test was negative, but the doctor gave him antibiotics anyway. They later realised he had a chest infection. I know it's frustrating, but if you think there's something wrong you might need to keep badgering the GP/care home. Could the graze on his leg be infected?

Unfortunately I've learned this past few months that 'expecting the unexpected' makes things easier. It's hard and frustrating :-/. But you are obviously doing your best and need to look after yourself too :)

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi Rowtalk,

Ah, this sounds just like my dad. When he is at home he has a routine (bizarre though it is), but whenever he has to go into hospital, he just stops functioning because he's in a strange place and has no points of reference. For this reason, we hope to keep him at home for as long as possible, because he deteriorates so dramatically whenever he is away from home. He also slept most of the day, or to be exact refused to get out of bed because he didn't want to be there. He also lost things, his glasses for example.

I hope things get better for you, but unfortunately it may well be that rather than your dad improving, you will "get better" by being able to come to terms with how your dad's situation is.

The best of luck. I feel for you. If it'd any consolation, yesterday my dad forgot that I was his daughter. He thought I was his niece. This is a cruel disease for everyone.

LS

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
Since your dad was sleeping during the day (which I assume wasn't usual) then I would suspect an infection too. My dad was showing signs of infection (drowsiness/confusion) although the urine test was negative, but the doctor gave him antibiotics anyway. They later realised he had a chest infection. I know it's frustrating, but if you think there's something wrong you might need to keep badgering the GP/care home. Could the graze on his leg be infected?

Unfortunately I've learned this past few months that 'expecting the unexpected' makes things easier. It's hard and frustrating :-/. But you are obviously doing your best and need to look after yourself too :)
Hi Looviloo
Thank you very much for your reply, I intend to keep badgering the GP/Care home I sent in a very lengthy email to the CH Manager just awaiting a reply.
I try to look after myself but there are so many other things going on in my life at the moment that it is proving difficult, but I am trying e.g. i am going to my GP tomorrow to let him know how i feel
Thanks again