Dads Suspected Dementia

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
Hello I'm new here. My Dad has had obvious cognitive declines for three years but my Mum refused to involve doctor . She passed away in September which has obviously lead to a further deterioration (Of course its combined with grief which makes it worse ) . I finally got him to the memory clinic . Following his appt they want him to have a driving assessment and a CT scan. He sat the Addenbrooks test. I couldn't see all of it but during the memory recall sections he couldn't even remember them asking him to remember anything ! He couldn't remember the prime minister or American president etc. The nurse told me that she would provide me with dementia information as although she couldn't diagnose anything he had obvious "marked impairments"

My question is - can this test identify AD from Vascular dementia ? I'm assuming from what I saw he is further along the line than just mild impairment ? And does anyone know how they do this ?

And also has anyone experienced someone with dementia losing their partner ? He knows she is gone and remembers her but it's as if he doesn't have the mental capacity to fully grieve ? He was fully checked out from the funeral process - he hasn't even asked how we paid for it !

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
They will do blood tests followed by a brain scan before coming to a conclusion. I sat with my husband at the bedside of his much loved brother while he was dying and he was untouched by the situation. Ten years later he still talks about his brother every other day but at the time he had no normal reaction. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's six years ago so you can see that this brain change can happen long before a diagnosis is made.

SadieF

Nov 11, 2018
I’m in a similar situation with my Dad
We haven’t had diagnosis yet and lost our mom in April, we put a lot of Dads behaviour down to grief at the time.
He’s currently in hospital he had brain scan yesterday, they’re also treating him for a Uti so should find out today.
For Dad it’s like he loses Mom again every time he remembers she’s gone, it’s as though he’s just found out.
Much love
Sadie

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
I’m in a similar situation with my Dad
We haven’t had diagnosis yet and lost our mom in April, we put a lot of Dads behaviour down to grief at the time.
He’s currently in hospital he had brain scan yesterday, they’re also treating him for a Uti so should find out today.
For Dad it’s like he loses Mom again every time he remembers she’s gone, it’s as though he’s just found out.
Much love
Sadie
I'm so sorry - I totally understand what you are going through. It's so hard isn't it . I haven't even had a chance to grieve for my Mum because every bit of energy /emotion I have is being swallowed up by trying to do the right thing for my Dad. At least my Dad remembers that she has gone at the moment , it must be unbearably hard to be in a cycle where he keeps forgetting and then remembering. I hope you receive a diagnosis today . I keep thinking it will be easier when I know what wrong even though I know it will only be the start of a long sad journey .

It's a terrible disease x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Fab47, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with all aspects of dementia and inform you about some of the questions you have raised. If a diagnosis is made you will see that there is advice about useful matters like getting Power of Attorney, Wills etc

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.