Dads shop and POA

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi,
As some of you will be aware along with dads 4 x daily carers my sister and I also assist in caring for dad who lives alone.
Sister and I have a bad relationship to the point we have ceased contact.
I do dads shopping using his POA card which sister eventually suggested I do as dad had started to get awkward about paying me back for shopping I had done on his behalf.
At one point during the last 3.5 years dads shop had been done either by sister adding his shop to her online one ( sister has most of her shopping delivered as does not drive ) myself doing shop or sometimes myself taking dad out which eventually became difficult as dad is now doubly incontinent and unfortunately had some poo accidents whilst out ( dads catheter is permanent ).
Sister eventually decided she no longer wanted to do dad shopping and told me she was not online shopping anymore and that I was to do all his shopping she won't even pick up a single item for him. Sister lives a short walk from dad so was able to take some shopping round to his home.
To be honest I believe this is a Fib/Lie as she has shopped online for a few years now however I have gone along with her request and its not been a problem especially as I no longer have to try and get dad to part with his money from his wallet.
I keep the receipts as dad would either misplace them or throw away and believe this is the correct thing to do regarding using the POA.
I used to send photos of the receipts via Whats- App but sister cut me off from messaging her that way last summer and in fact had said prior to our falling out that it was unnecessary to send photos of his shopping receipts.
Gradually contact via other sources has been dropped so no emailing initially at her request and eventually agreed by myself given hers were nasty, condescending and abusive, no calling unless via dads house phone ( but she wouldn't go to his phone if I needed to speak with her ) no texting which became automatic as I had to stop her calling my mobile as she was being verbally abusive to me. Sister and I haven't had any contact for a few weeks now.

So out of the blue last night I received an email sister is querying a £1 spend in said shop ( Pound shop ) and a spend of £14.76 spent in supermarket.
To be honest I am a tad amused its not like it was a large amount is it? also I am a bit irritated however my Partner is very angry he says its a indication of lack of trust on her part.
I had taken the shop round to dad yesterday afternoon so it was actually three days after initially purchasing as I intended to get dad a fresh cream trifle which I did. Dads trifle was purchased the day before taking so as to be as fresh as possible but as dad had some puddings and custard pots already there for his puddings nothing else was urgently needed. I had decided I would take the shop in one trip despite the fact I had already been to see him in-between shop and actually taking it.
Sister will see the shopping there when she goes in this morning.
No doubt dad will have called her after my visit yesterday he rings her every time I visit after I have left but he obviously only reported that I had left him milk and trifle and didn't bother to look in cupboard etc, most of the time dad shows little interest in his shop anyway.
I have the receipts the BIG spend of £1 ? was for washing gel for his dogs bedding and the rest was for dads needs his favorite cakes, milk, washing pods etc etc.
To be honest I have on occasion taken advantage when things are on offer and slightly stock piled such as his little individual boxed cakes ( V whirls ) as currently less than half price so offer is good he eats all the time and they have a good sell by date.
I tend to only take round as needed as dad would complain if he saw say 4-5 boxes in his cupboard.
So question is shall I bring this up with her or ignore her request for me to email her when her initial query should have been resolved when she went to his this morning and seen what I have taken.
I am reluctant to re-start any communication as each time we have done so she then starts to get abusive in her messaging and I don't want all that again.
Sister is able to view dads bank statement online as the other Attorney she offered to be the one to be able to online bank as only one Attorney was allowed to have that access and I don't have any issue with that. Sister stated she regularly checks his statement.
Dad still receives a paper statement which was re-instated as bank had stopped sending one but he isn't that keen to show anyone so I don't ask to see it.
I can obviously keep a eye on dads overall balance/expenditure by inserting the POA card in Bank Machine but to be honest I trust sister so have only checked once for overall balance after my Partner insisted I should just check dads balance.
Dads overall spend does not change much as his shop is reasonably consistent as are his Direct Debits and W F Meals order which I also deal with as in ordering the meals as they automatically come off the card he has registered with them.
I almost feel like cutting up my POA card and leaving it to her I'm not happy to have if she is indicating a lack of trust towards me but I know she does enough for dad as it is cooking his breakfast walking dog etc.
Its frustrating for me that she has suddenly decided to contact me over a small spend which I can justify and show receipts for if needed.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh ffs - your sister (IMHO) is becoming a control freak!

Take a photo of the receipt and send it as an attachment to a short, but polite, email

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
When you are POA you have to act in your dad's best interests. And being able to buy him shopping is in his best interests. So keep using the card, and keep the receipts and then if your sister has a meltdown - sorry, query - at any point you have everything needed.

On this occasion, send her the information she requested in the least intrusive way possible, whether that's emailing her a copy of a receipt or sending a copy in the post. Don't add any comment, keep it simple.

I agree you should check the bank balance regularly. Your sister may be dealing with online banking but your are both responsible for his finances and you need to be aware of what is happening.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Sirena suggests emailing receipts, that sounds like such a good idea.
Your sister sounds unreasonable. The trouble is when we deal with unreasonable people we always think we can deal with it or negotiate a reasonable way forward.
Your sisters mood can be caused by mental health, menopause, jealousy and no end of other factors you have no control over.
I would as much as possible, turn the other cheek, even though giving that advice is probably unfair to you.
For the two of you to be able to share the care of your father that keeps him happy and able to have his independence is such a magnificent achievement.
Don't let friends and family that love you wind you up to much telling you wrong she is (now there is a challenge)!!!!

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hi,
Thanks to all of you for listening to me having a rant yesterday.
I am off to dads later today so I have photocopied the receipts and can pop them in my little book that I leave at dads so sister can see them.
I half wondered yesterday if she might have emailed to say she had found the shopping on her morning visit to dad but nope nothing. I suppose I was expecting too much of her to send me a little acknowledgement or apology as her email was suggestive? that I had shopped using the POA bank card for my benefit not dads which I would never do.

Oh well here's hoping dad likes the couple of photo frames he requested for a couple of his very old photo's to go in ? receipts will be photocopied for the £4 total they cost. I'm hoping my afternoon visit is good as of late he can be rather moody ?.