Dads night restlessness is affecting my poor mum.

Matty007

Jun 12, 2017
My dad (88 yrs) bless him has advanced dementia, my mum (83 yrs) cares for him and loves him as we all do dearly, the main problem currently is that he is hardly sleeping, that's fine for him as he can when he wishes catch up on sleep throughout the day etc. but my mum can't. A couple of years ago he was prescribed some sleeping pills but they made him drowsy rather than made him sleep and we were worried he might fall if he wanders. I appreciate this might be better discussed with his doctor but has anyone had experience of a truly effective sleeping medication, our doctor is lovely but she's admitted she knows very little about dementia, as an aside we had multiple appointments at our local memory clinic but these dried up a couple of years ago, so well before Covid, should we demand that these sessions are resumed, thank you all, and best wishes to you all x

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm forever suggesting Mirtazapine on here. It can really help with anxiety and sleep but doesn't have so much effect on steadiness as sleeping tablets and sedatives. Low dose is generally pretty good. I'm not a doctor, of course but I would say ask your Dad's GP if he could prescribe it. My mum takes it without any issues and has advanced vascular dementia.

Matty007

Jun 12, 2017
Thank you, however that sounds familiar, I think he might already be taking that, but I shall check.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband took 7.5mg of Zopiclone any less isn’t effective. The idea is if you take it for several weeks you will have established a new sleeping pattern. It worked for him and stopped the getting up and dressed for work nonsense at 2 am.

Matty007

Jun 12, 2017
My husband took 7.5mg of Zopiclone any less isn’t effective. The idea is if you take it for several weeks you will have established a new sleeping pattern. It worked for him and stopped the getting up and dressed for work nonsense at 2 am.
Sorry I haven't got back earlier, thank you for that, I think he has that I will check the dosage.

grannydilly

Apr 26, 2020
Worcestershire
That was the most difficult thing when my husband came out of hospital after a bad fall my son and I had to take tuns in sleeping until doc finally gave him mirtazapine he also has lorazepam in daytime for anxiety and duloxetine for pain in toes, at first he had a lot of tramadol too for pain from broken hip and arm, the Mirtazapine has been the best thing and we rarely get a really bad might now. I found it hard to have to call docs at precisely 8.30. am to get a call back later in the day, Its all very wearing and stressful normal life has ceased and not just because of covid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paddly