Dad's new wheels

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Visited Dad this weekend and finally saw him in his new all singing all dancing wheelchair that his ex-employers very kindly paid for. Took him for a stroll to MacDonalds (the only food outlet nearby that my children agreed to eat in). I could ignore his shouting at people (though I'm sure he made a few people jump, they were kind enough to not say anything), and I was very pleased that we didn't get the usual profanities (the only words he can actually pronounce are 'yes' and a string of unmentionables). Got around the dipped curbs and bobbly pavements and general obstacles and people were very quick to open the door for me. Didn't think it quite through enough, though, as I had to carry the food back to the home (not brave enough to eat out yet) AND push the wheelchair up hill. Got back into the home after our brief trip out, and while I was pleased that I'd got him outside for the first time in 2 years, he was very cross, and his hair was more than a tad windswept. He was pacified by a few forbidden french fries (on a diet due to sympathy puddings from the girls at the home!)Next time I will take a woolly hat for him as I think the shouting was due to the wind. And I must get to the gym so that I can tackle the up hill section a bit more easily next time............................

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
What a palava!

Well, I'm not sure it was your intention Mrs P but I'm afraid I've had to chuckle at your story!!!

At least you got back safe and almost sound! Better luck next time!:D

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
glad it went well i think the hills get bigger as you start to climb them:D love larivy

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
great post - reminded me of when I used to take Mum out in the wheelchair - she was quite heavy and the pavements all so crinkled and it was hardwork especially going up any incline. Anybody that walked by she would tell me she knew them (she didnt) but they used to speak so it passed the time (they were very kindly).
Also people used to park their cars when there were those dips in the pavement where you are supposed to cross the road with wheelchairs so some people do not think about others.
Keep on doing it as long as you can because although he probably moans, he also probably likes getting outside with the family.
Like the bit about the chips (mum used to like doing "naughty" things it appealed to her sense of humour). Great the kids go along as well.

Also I just would like to say to anybody before they get a wheelchair think carefully and take advice before getting one, because it is expensive and it has to be the right type (there are several on the market).

Last edited:

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Glad it made you all chuckle, we all need a bit of a smile!! I agree with the advice about the wheelchair advice prior to purchase - thankfully I work for the NHS and I consulted our wheelchair services department for advice before looking at anything so be sure that I was going for something appropriate.
Kate x.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour