Dads lost in the kitchen

Spitty

Nov 7, 2015
My dad still likes to go make a drink during the day ,he opens every kitchen cupboard every time to find anything ,from the pots ,spoons ,tea ,coffee etc ,does anyone know where I can buy some sticky flash cards with all of this sort of items on them ,pots pans etc .I did think about just writing on some plain blank card ,but feel it would be easier for dad if there were a picture to look at .Thankyou for any advice ,

JohnBG

Apr 20, 2016
Lancashire UK
Internet.

If you have access to the Internet go on images find what you want or save them to your phone, print them out or go to your local library who will help you. Images as you sugges,t will be helpful on the bathroom as well as each kitchen door if necessary.

John.

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
If you're up to making you own there are loads of images on the Internet as JohnBG says. For example in Google type in teacup, then select "Images" (near the top of the screen) then select "Clipart".

I printed mine out will different coloured backgrounds which may or may not help. For labels I used "Multi Purpose White Peelable Labels" which I got from Amazon as my local stationer hadn't heard of them. The key word is "Peelable" as these can be peeled off most surfaces without damage.

If you want some ready made there are some here (for a price) https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/sticky-labels-for-drawers-cupboards-kitchen-bedroom.html but I don't know if they are permanent or peelable.

Edit:
Just found http://sparklebox.co.uk which includes a lot of labels ready to be printed, mostly free It is aimed at schools but there may be something useful there, for example this page http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/3131-3140/sb3138.html#.Vz4_h5ErKHs has labels suitable for a bedroom.

Last edited:

JohnBG

Apr 20, 2016
Lancashire UK
App

I have seen simple sign making apps where you may be able to import pictures then print at a photo-shop.

John.

Last edited:

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
Signage

Hi Spitty, I typed the wording on the computer and added images to some. Sometimes I would use clipart, but mostly I would get an actual image, if I couldn't find something I would take a photograph.

I have laminated Mum's and I have put them using Blu Tacky Stuff (not sure if I am allowed to actually name the product)

If you type the name of the item into a search engine you will find oodles of images which you can use. You can buy a cheap laminator (and the pouches) in any well known high street stationers. With the laminated signs I can wipe them clean if Mum splashes them with water or they get dirty.

Hope this helps, if I can be of any further help do feel free to message me.

JohnBG

Apr 20, 2016
Lancashire UK
Whiteboard

I bought my mum a whiteboard as a reminder for things, she was confused about the pen bless it must be so frustrating for her, I explained to her how well she copes.

Take care good luck with the pictures.

John.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Why not just leave the necessary items on a shelf or on the worktop. Doesn't take much room and is so much easier. Worked for OH while he could still understand how to make coffee.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
If you have the technology you could take photos of his own items and get them printed and laminated - it might make more sense to him to see familiar items and not just a generic cup or saucepan which could serve to confuse whilst trying to help.

Just a thought. Hope you find something that helps.

Best wishes
Sue:)

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
If you have the technology you could take photos of his own items and get them printed and laminated - it might make more sense to him to see familiar items and not just a generic cup or saucepan which could serve to confuse whilst trying to help.

Just a thought. Hope you find something that helps.

Best wishes
Sue:)

Hi Sue, I did that exact same thing (see post further up) if I couldn't find the image of the exact item I wanted to put on then I would take a photograph so it is exactly the same as she has. It has worked well so far because she isn't looking for a plain white mug when hers has pansies on! The lamination makes them a lot more hard wearing and for those in the bathroom/near the kitchen sink can be wiped dry.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Sue, I did that exact same thing (see post further up) if I couldn't find the image of the exact item I wanted to put on then I would take a photograph so it is exactly the same as she has. It has worked well so far because she isn't looking for a plain white mug when hers has pansies on! The lamination makes them a lot more hard wearing and for those in the bathroom/near the kitchen sink can be wiped dry.

So you did Mymemories, sorry I didn't read it properly. With today's technology so much is possible - it's just knowing and being able to use it. Love pansies much nicer than a plain white mug:)

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
I Did This Sign For My Mum

The kind people on TP have given me so much help, advice and support since joining so I thought I would give something back. I have attached one of the signs I did for Mum to give those caregivers an idea, and a place to start.

I had to put the word 'Fridge' and not refrigerator as this would have confused Mum. The 'sign' is on the front of her refrigerator, and shows her what should be inside. I did this as she was putting bottles of J20, Babybels, Ham and Cheese in her freezer!

Before anyone thinks I am starving my Mum, I would like to mention that she has a lady that brings in a cooked hot meal (not Meals on Wheels) and a sandwich/filled roll with some biscuits and a piece of fruit or jelly for her teatime meal (we call it her Picnic). The Babybels are her 'snack food' should she get peckish. I have just amended this sign to include a picture of a Tupperware Box that contains her sandwiches etc.

I have lots of these signs placed around her home, all are laminated so they last, and are easy to wipe clean, especially those placed in her bathroom and beside the kitchen sink. It is still possible to change the colour of the card/paper etc.

Hope this helps someone. Please feel free to send me a PM if you want any further information/help.

Attachments

• Refrigerator Sign.jpg
    Refrigerator Sign.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 550

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
So you did Mymemories, sorry I didn't read it properly. With today's technology so much is possible - it's just knowing and being able to use it. Love pansies much nicer than a plain white mug:)

That's ok Sue J, no need to apologise. Todays technology does have a purpose for the good...sometimes. I have attached something to this post to give an image to my ramblings on.

Suziod

May 23, 2016
Supporting independence

Regarding supporting your dad to find things in the kitchen, I recognise this with my own father. I have done something similar in dads bedroom to help keep his independence when selecting clothing. My advice would be keep the language simple, use the words your dad is familiar with eg cups or mug. On word programme I inserted simple pictures, even better would be to take a photo that represents a draw or cupboard, eg knives/forks for cutlery. I then laminated them and put up with blue tack so easy to replace or alter. Hope this helps, dad says he helps him X

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet