Dad's journey has ended.

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Taffy

I was so sorry to read of your Dad's final struggle. I hope that he is now at peace and that you and your family can find solace that he suffers no longer.

Thoughts are with you

Mameeskye

Lotti

Jul 31, 2007
Dear Taffy

I too send my condolences. Thinking of you and wishing you peace.

Lotti

nickyd

Oct 20, 2007
warwickshire
Dear Taffy,
Am so sorry to hear that your Dad has passed away..
I understand how painful it was for you!
You take care of yourself, now.
Love & Hugs,

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Dear Taffy,

I'm so sorry to hear of your dear dad's passing.

Please take care of yourself and accept my condolences to you and your family.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Taffy

So sorry to hear of your dad's passing. At least you were with him almost to the end. When my dad passed, we were phoned at 10 a.m. to be told he was shouting for my mum, but not to worry. We were due to visit at 2 p.m. which they knew. I had a feeling that 2 p.m. would be too late, so I picked my mum up at 10.30 and as she got into my car, we got the call to say dad had passed away. We will never know what he was shouting about. I am so sad about that. We never got to tell him we loved him, cos he wasn't expected to die so suddenly.

Take comfort from the fact that you were with him almost to the end.

Love

Margaret

silvergoblin

Mar 31, 2008
Naples, Florida....USA
Hi Taffy....I just found this site today....although I am new here I just want you to know that you have my condolences....that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and that I am sending you BIG HUGS from SW Florida....Please take care of yourself....

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Sincere Thanks

Thank you all so very much for your kind thoughts and messages of sympathy. Dad's funeral is on Thursday and arrangements were made easier because dad had told me prior of his wishes. Dad never changed much with the times and wanted a traditional funeral he didn't like the modern 'Celebration of Life' type funerals.

Everything from the casket to the grave yard is yesteryear. Dad got his last wishes and I sincerely thank you all. Love Taffy.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Taffy, thank you for the update.

I'm sure everything will be exactly as your dad wished. Must confess I'm a traditionalist myself -- at least when it comes to ritual.

I'll be thinking of you and your family on Thursday, and will add my own prayer.

Love,

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Taffy, May God shine his light on you and your family on Thursday.

I am not particularly religious, but discovered the grave papers of the grave containing my mother's two sister and her mother, and there is space for mum, so I am burying her there when the time comes.

It will be a Catholic burial for my mum, no idea about yours, but I will pray for you and your family.

God is everywhere. He will be with you and your dad on Thursday.

Sorry to be emotional. Love Margaret.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dad was laid to rest on Thursday and everything went really lovely. When dad was taken from the car there was a Kookaburra singing in the gum tree and it never stopped until dad reached the alter.

The priest gave his consent for a professional to video the service. This was really important to me as my only sister lives in the UK and owing to her poor health she can't get travel insurance nor Dr's approval to fly. I felt it would be closure for her to view the services and the lady ended up also coming and filming the burial.

At the cemetery we were greeted by men from the Return Serviceman League (RSL) they had organised a Piper, dad was covered with the Australian flag. The men from my family carried dad to his final resting place lead by the Piper piping 'Amazing Grace'. The priest gave blessings and prayers then the RSL carried on with a small services and played 'The Last Post'. All return servicemen placed a poppy on dad's coffin.

The piper lead those present out of the cemetery it was truly a fitting farewell. I was really taken back by the number of people who attended.

Tomorrow dad would have turned 84 and we are going to place flowers and have a picnic (weather not looking good). The cemetery is by the ocean only separated by the sand and wind break. From the cemetery you can hear the waves breaking on the shore, it's very peaceful.

I didn't have the heart to tell mum that dad died but I know she senses something she keeps asking to see him, she would ask only how he was before, never to see him. I told her that we can't see him anymore, that he can't come home again, he is, far far away and being looked after very well. I said he is happy and she said, that's good we wont go in case he gets upset and he wants to come home.:) Thank you all for your lovely messages. Love Taffy.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Taffy

thanks so much for keeping us all informed.

The service sounds a perfect one and your description is really moving.

The way you have treated this with your Mum is fantastic - an example to us all.

best wishes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124