Dad's ISAs and Bonds to pay for care

Emmy_83

Mar 8, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi all

Can anybody help me with regards my dad's savings. We currently have carers coming in to help him and have been told in a couple of weeks we will have to start paying for them at £11 an hour.

My dad wouldn't be able to fund this out of the money currently going into his current account as that pays house bills etc. Is it possible for me to use one of his ISA accounts to make the payments do you know or will I have to move money out of this and into his current account or another account? I know he has bonds also but imagine ISA may be easier.

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You have to move it from the ISA to a different account.

Unlike ordinary bonds you can always cash in all ISA bonds before the end of any term, there will most likely be restrictions, lost of a period of interest, inability to partially cash in, ....

Has he capacity, have you got lasting power of attorney?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Just to say that one of OHs ISA providers were happy to release some of the funds from his ISA, pending more later. There was no problem, other than it took a few weeks. I just had to write to them, telling them how much I needed and the details of the account to pay into.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello. Does Dad claim Attendance Allwance. I am assuming that he has a diagnosis, but if he needs carers he should be claiming this benefit........ also if he has a diagnosis he will be able to apply for a Council Tax discount.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'd look at what return he's getting on each investment and sell the ones with the worst return first, but remember to sell them straight after the interest has been paid not just before or you'll lose it. Frankly some ISA's have such a poor return they're not worth having.
K