Dads final journey

Shazedge

Nov 11, 2015
Well we are here and it has been a long time coming, nearly 4 weeks to be precise... .
A very broad mix of emotions atm and kind of just want to get going...
I hope I can do my dad proud when I stand up to read his eulogy, I keep trying to be so strong and to not fall apart, well at least until after I've read it but the memories and beautiful stories are so painful but wonderful at the same time.
I knew I would be upset and sad when I lost either one of my parents but the emptiness and heartache is almost unbearable at times... I feel cheated by AD because I feel like I didn't get the chance to tell dad (when he still knew me) exactly how I feel about him and to thank him for all of the wonderful memories. . I just hope he knew us all well enough to know how much we all love and miss him.
I hope today, although it will be sad, will be a day of beautiful memories and reflection and to remember the most amazing, wonderful and thoughtful dad who was selfless to the very end.....
Wish me luck as nervous as anything....

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I do wish you well.

And I'll say this:if you love someone and value them they will know through your actions not words. Words are cheap: you loved your father, you showed him that by your actions, he knew.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thinking of you today . I don't think you will need luck as your love for your father shines through everything you have said and done. He knows . Warmest hug xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Well we are here and it has been a long time coming, nearly 4 weeks to be precise... .
A very broad mix of emotions atm and kind of just want to get going...
I hope I can do my dad proud when I stand up to read his eulogy, I keep trying to be so strong and to not fall apart, well at least until after I've read it but the memories and beautiful stories are so painful but wonderful at the same time.
I knew I would be upset and sad when I lost either one of my parents but the emptiness and heartache is almost unbearable at times... I feel cheated by AD because I feel like I didn't get the chance to tell dad (when he still knew me) exactly how I feel about him and to thank him for all of the wonderful memories. . I just hope he knew us all well enough to know how much we all love and miss him.
I hope today, although it will be sad, will be a day of beautiful memories and reflection and to remember the most amazing, wonderful and thoughtful dad who was selfless to the very end.....
Wish me luck as nervous as anything....

Just saw your post. Thinking about you.

Aisling ( Ireland )

overwhelmed1

Dec 7, 2013
Chester
I understand x

I understand what you are going through. My father died in a very similar way to yours, aged 72. Funeral was Wed 13th Jan. I was braver than I thought I would be and, strangely, I think the past 5 years did prepare me in some hardened way. It has been heart breaking and I do hope you are OK. I hope the funeral was fitting xxx my love to you at this time and know you are not alone.

Shazedge

Nov 11, 2015
Thank you everyone for your kind messages of support and comments.
The funeral was sad but a beautiful day and a very fitting tribute to dad and his life. We live in a small village and mum and dad have lived here for nearly 50 years, the church was packed with close to at least 200 people, it was amazing to have so much support. I read dads eulogy and managed to get through it ok. It was such a surreal moment (well close to 15mins actually). And I genuinely felt dad with me throughout it willing me on and telling me it would be ok.
So we had a lovely day and one which I know dad would have enjoyed as well. Since then I feel lost and like I am going through my 2nd wave of grieving, it's strange and so very paiit literally makes my chest ache...
I don't know what to do doe the best and feel like I'm pushing everyone away and just want to be with my own thoughts and remember dad all the time, like I'm scared to forget him...
Like everyone I love and miss him so much x x

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thank you everyone for your kind messages of support and comments.
The funeral was sad but a beautiful day and a very fitting tribute to dad and his life. We live in a small village and mum and dad have lived here for nearly 50 years, the church was packed with close to at least 200 people, it was amazing to have so much support. I read dads eulogy and managed to get through it ok. It was such a surreal moment (well close to 15mins actually). And I genuinely felt dad with me throughout it willing me on and telling me it would be ok.
So we had a lovely day and one which I know dad would have enjoyed as well. Since then I feel lost and like I am going through my 2nd wave of grieving, it's strange and so very paiit literally makes my chest ache...
I don't know what to do doe the best and feel like I'm pushing everyone away and just want to be with my own thoughts and remember dad all the time, like I'm scared to forget him...
Like everyone I love and miss him so much x x

So glad it all went as you wanted and you managed your Epilogue. I lost my dad in 1992 and still miss him everyday . They leave a huge void in our lives but hopefully in time you learn to smile when you think of him and the memories you so treasure. I know I do now. Big hugs xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
You will miss him for a long time, at first it seems as if you cry all the time but that does ease up after a while. Don't push people away, they need to share their memories too and if you can just give them a hug and say "thank you" that is all you need to do. In time the funny, poignant, happy and sad memories will come flooding back. And don't worry, you will always remember him, for the rest of your life.