Dads chocking now on food

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Hi i have gp
Was keen to get him off it as it causes. Swallowing side effects but cannot as psychiatrist said nothing else to try as my dad is extremely aggressive without it and psychiatrist said all the other antipsychotic tabs are the same .
My husband was aggressive, sadly its common. He was on Risperidone for some time but moved to Haliperidol, supported by Loraazepan if needed. He is in a care home now and though still agitated is manageable not aggressive, and eats well.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Cookies dissolve just like biscuits and are not a problem. Dad's sister offered him some pork pie once, I said no because I knew he would not be able to swallow it but once offered dad insisted that he could eat anything and took a piece and I couldn't stop him. Ten minutes later dad was choking and back up it came. His sister listened to me after that.

Shepherds pie was fine with gravy but no chunks of carrot or peas as for some reason they just got stuck. Ice cream was good with double cream on top. The best thing was scrambled egg, basically half egg and half double cream and butter. I used to add slithers of smoked salmon as a treat, it certainly helped dad gain weight.

I hope things improve @deepetshopboy

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Oh yes hes ok with them .hes had soup yogurts donuts jelly trifle weetabix all food i can think of thats ok to
I also tried soft potoatoe waffle soft chips and soft toast he eats cookies too which I can’t understand how he’s swallowing them very odd i cant understand it
Go for really soft easy to eat food- donuts wouldnt be the first thing I would think of!

Try
mashed potatoes/Mashed swede/mashed carrots with fish in sauce/mince
Porridge/readybrek
Any of the pot puddings in the yoghurt aisle- mousse ,creme caramel etc
scrambled egg, tinned spaghetti hoops-
Tinned rice pudding.

really soft stuff that he doesnt have to bite or chew, just swallow

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Oh yes hes ok with them .hes had soup yogurts donuts jelly trifle weetabix all food i can think of thats ok to
I also tried soft potoatoe waffle soft chips and soft toast he eats cookies too which I can’t understand how he’s swallowing them very odd i cant understand it
hes probably sucking them in his mouth as they do melt quite easily along with other biscuits hes eating.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Cookies dissolve just like biscuits and are not a problem. Dad's sister offered him some pork pie once, I said no because I knew he would not be able to swallow it but once offered dad insisted that he could eat anything and took a piece and I couldn't stop him. Ten minutes later dad was choking and back up it came. His sister listened to me after that.

Shepherds pie was fine with gravy but no chunks of carrot or peas as for some reason they just got stuck. Ice cream was good with double cream on top. The best thing was scrambled egg, basically half egg and half double cream and butter. I used to add slithers of smoked salmon as a treat, it certainly helped dad gain weight.

I hope things improve @deepetshopboy
Great suggestions thank u x

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Go for really soft easy to eat food- donuts wouldnt be the first thing I would think of!

Try
mashed potatoes/Mashed swede/mashed carrots with fish in sauce/mince
Porridge/readybrek
Any of the pot puddings in the yoghurt aisle- mousse ,creme caramel etc
scrambled egg, tinned spaghetti hoops-
Tinned rice pudding.

really soft stuff that he doesnt have to bite or chew, just swallow
Good suggestions there thanks x

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
My husband was aggressive, sadly its common. He was on Risperidone for some time but moved to Haliperidol, supported by Loraazepan if needed. He is in a care home now and though still agitated is manageable not aggressive, and eats well.
Dads very much declined since risperdrone in dec on 2 mg tried cutting him down but turned aggressive within 2 days absolutely hate them dr wants him off but psychiatrist won't try nothing else i can understand to a large extent as dads very violent aggressive erc and im the only 1 looking after him but its heartbreaking seeing him in this state which i think could have caused all this swallowing issues i hate giving him them 3 pills each day it’s horrible