Dads chocking now on food

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Dads declined so much in last month gone from dressing himself eating normally taking hes tabs normally eating like a horse
All this started since him going on risperdrone
To not being able to dress without help needing bath seat help with bath shaving
Now not able to eat hard tabs pulling them out of hes mouth now chocking on most foods but strangely can still eat biscuits nibbling on them its so stressful rvery dinner is chopped up like spaghetti is choped but cant eat it so now down to breakfast which is toast ham or cerial
Dinner Yougurt bananas chocolate soft fruit or jelly im worried hes going lise weight rapidly ive asked all tabs to be melt in mouth/liquid
Ive been asking for a ref from salt team nothing happening yet from that
Dads been ill coughing a lot and recently burping all the time in addition to the swallowing
Im going to ask for a xray/ultrasound due to this i did tell the dr hes been coughing but didn't seem worried which is annoying as hes also got copd but could be cancer
Cant help thinking dads coming towards the end now stage 7

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I don't have any experience of risperdrone, but, if this has happened since he was put on it, I would seriously consider whether it is a side effect. Can you speak to his GP?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I would also ask for a referral to the Speech and Language team (SALT) as they are the experts in all things to do with swallowing.
Its worth ruling out a side effect of risperidone, but having trouble swallowing is a common symptom of later stage dementia. The SALT team may recommend that you give him soft food to eat and thicken his drinks to make it easier to swallow.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I don't have any experience of risperdrone, but, if this has happened since he was put on it, I would seriously consider whether it is a side effect. Can you speak to his GP?
Hi i have gp
Was keen to get him off it as it causes. Swallowing side effects but cannot as psychiatrist said nothing else to try as my dad is extremely aggressive without it and psychiatrist said all the other antipsychotic tabs are the same .

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@deepetshopboy this all sounds awful and a bit familiar to me. Dad lost lots of weight very quickly, he had a huge loss of appetite because he was always full. He also burped a lot and tapped his chest a lot every time he ate anything however small it was. Then we had the coughing and choking followed eventually by vomiting. His GP sent him for an endoscopy and they found a tumour in his oesophagus. I think you are right to ask for some more investigations but they may depend on your dads aggression or not. Dad was sedated because it is an unpleasant experience but dad was never any trouble anyway.

Is it that he won't swallow or does he try and it gets stuck? If it gets stuck and comes back up then you need to tell the GP Dad could eat a biscuit but he always had them with a cup of tea or coffee which just dissolves it so it went down okay.

They sorted my dad out with a stent and he was able to eat again.

I don't want to worry you too much as it is probably not that but do speak to his GP

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Hi i have gp
Was keen to get him off it as it causes. Swallowing side effects but cannot as psychiatrist said nothing else to try as my dad is extremely aggressive without it and psychiatrist said all the other antipsychotic tabs are the same .
Can the GP suggest any anti anxiety / anti depression medications that might help his aggression? Particularly as they obviously think the risperdrone is the problem. But maybe you've already tried alternatives. Sometimes it seems to be a matter of treating the biggest problem.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Can the GP suggest any anti anxiety / anti depression medications that might help his aggression? Particularly as they obviously think the risperdrone is the problem. But maybe you've already tried alternatives. Sometimes it seems to be a matter of treating the biggest problem.
Hi he was on citropram antidepressants last yr just came off them a few wks bck
Psychiatrist mentioned another antidepressant for to help sleep ive tried getting him off risperdrone by cutting it down by a tiny bit but within a few days he was aggressive again im so fed up with it all ive had everything to deal with

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
@deepetshopboy this all sounds awful and a bit familiar to me. Dad lost lots of weight very quickly, he had a huge loss of appetite because he was always full. He also burped a lot and tapped his chest a lot every time he ate anything however small it was. Then we had the coughing and choking followed eventually by vomiting. His GP sent him for an endoscopy and they found a tumour in his oesophagus. I think you are right to ask for some more investigations but they may depend on your dads aggression or not. Dad was sedated because it is an unpleasant experience but dad was never any trouble anyway.

Is it that he won't swallow or does he try and it gets stuck? If it gets stuck and comes back up then you need to tell the GP Dad could eat a biscuit but he always had them with a cup of tea or coffee which just dissolves it so it went down okay.

They sorted my dad out with a stent and he was able to eat again.

I don't want to worry you too much as it is probably not that but do speak to his GP
Hi he’s swallowing then it’s coming up he’s hanging over the bin chocking etc
Just now hes had soft brown toasr with soft chhese and thin ham just chocked on that hes going waste away
My dads swallowing started 1 month ago as well as coughing for 8 weeks and. Hes spent all wk belching constantly banging hes chest /stomach so much so i called 111 and a ambulance
I told the dr 2 wks ago he might need a xray but he said nothing
I told nurse about salt he was the one mentioned it but not discussed again ill have to ask for a urgent review
Im now waiting for a loc dr to call me so i can ask for tests if they wont agree ill get them done private
And im very worried i did think it was cancer when i put it all together
Its either that cancer or
Copd
Risperdrone causing it
Or dementia

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
I would also ask for a referral to the Speech and Language team (SALT) as they are the experts in all things to do with swallowing.
Its worth ruling out a side effect of risperidone, but having trouble swallowing is a common symptom of later stage dementia. The SALT team may recommend that you give him soft food to eat and thicken his drinks to make it easier to swallow.
Hi nurse mentioned the salt team a few weeks bck will have to get him seen by them asap nurse on annual leave but will call him monday or mention today about a ref asap
Im having another meeting via zoom with dr /mental health nurse /psychiatrist
So will discuss the swallowing chocking burping /salt team
And substitute for risperdrone again maybe ill ask for a different type of antipsychotic in addition to antidepressant
On top of that all tabs need to be melt in mouth

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi he’s swallowing then it’s coming up he’s hanging over the bin chocking etc
Just now hes had soft brown toasr with soft chhese and thin ham just chocked on that hes going waste away
My dads swallowing started 1 month ago as well as coughing for 8 weeks and. Hes spent all wk belching constantly banging hes chest /stomach so much so i called 111 and a ambulance
I told the dr 2 wks ago he might need a xray but he said nothing
I told nurse about salt he was the one mentioned it but not discussed again ill have to ask for a urgent review
Im now waiting for a loc dr to call me so i can ask for tests if they wont agree ill get them done private
And im very worried i did think it was cancer when i put it all together
Its either that cancer or
Copd
Risperdrone causing it
Or dementia
My dad had all kinds of test for his weight loss but it wasn't until he kept bring it back up that they ordered the endoscopy. He could eat a little bit but then he would be full up because it was sitting at the bottom of his gullet and could go no further. There was a lot of burping, then coughing then back up it came. He lost almost 4 stone between Christmas and April so I was worried sick. I told his GP that dad was bringing everything back up the GP got him an urgent appointment for a endoscopy and he had the test within the week and they told us there and then that he had a tumour in his oesophagus. He went back the following week and had a stent fitted and was able to eat again. They couldn't treat the cancer but dad lived another two years in relatively good health.

Make sure that you tell them that he can't keep anything down and I hope I am wrong about this but you can't ignore it.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
My dad had all kinds of test for his weight loss but it wasn't until he kept bring it back up that they ordered the endoscopy. He could eat a little bit but then he would be full up because it was sitting at the bottom of his gullet and could go no further. There was a lot of burping, then coughing then back up it came. He lost almost 4 stone between Christmas and April so I was worried sick. I told his GP that dad was bringing everything back up the GP got him an urgent appointment for a endoscopy and he had the test within the week and they told us there and then that he had a tumour in his oesophagus. He went back the following week and had a stent fitted and was able to eat again. They couldn't treat the cancer but dad lived another two years in relatively good health.

Make sure that you tell them that he can't keep anything down and I hope I am wrong about this but you can't ignore it.
Hi rung the dr yet again this morning as usual dr on annual leave all week i have been ringing drs ambulance 111
Also private hospital
Dr going ref him to a salt team
And ive told herim ready to go and get private test asap ie xray n ultrasound
Dads been coughing now for 8 weeks
Belching n swallowing problems for a week
She’s referring him to a speclust within 2 week but thats just a tel consultant to assess him im very tempted to go private and get him the xray /ultrasound and tbh i dont think they will be able to endoscopy hes so agaited and confused
What type of cancer did your dad have i just dont know what else to do

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi rung the dr yet again this morning as usual dr on annual leave all week i have been ringing drs ambulance 111
Also private hospital
Dr going ref him to a salt team
And ive told herim ready to go and get private test asap ie xray n ultrasound
Dads been coughing now for 8 weeks
Belching n swallowing problems for a week
She’s referring him to a speclust within 2 week but thats just a tel consultant to assess him im very tempted to go private and get him the xray /ultrasound and tbh i dont think they will be able to endoscopy hes so agaited and confused
What type of cancer did your dad have i just dont know what else to do
Sorry @deepetshopboy dad had oesphageal cancer so his gullet was blocked and food was unable to reach his stomach. I think an endoscopy is the test they usually use but x ray or ultrasound may be helpful. You really should not have to go private for tests.

Have ambulance paramedics seen him because they are usually very good at making assessments. I would be tempted to call them if your dad is that bad.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Sorry @deepetshopboy dad had oesphageal cancer so his gullet was blocked and food was unable to reach his stomach. I think an endoscopy is the test they usually use but x ray or ultrasound may be helpful. You really should not have to go private for tests.

Have ambulance paramedics seen him because they are usually very good at making assessments. I would be tempted to call them if your dad is that bad.
Yes called ambulance on Saturday they said thought it was a blockage but got dr to come out as didnt want to take my dad to hospital as they wasnt sure dad was agitated and said i may not be allowed in
Anyway they left dr came out and said he was fine and said no blockage but call if he was breathing bad or bleeding
Specilust only phone consultant dont know what drs playing at he needs urgent tests
Im reluctant to call ambulance as they might not let me in dad will go missing he will not want go to hospital or have wait around for tests

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
That's awful @deepetshopboy but I understand why you don't want to call them again. I was lucky with dads doctor, he was wonderful and the receptionists and dad was very easy to deal with too.

I hope your dad is okay and it may be better for the moment to only give him small portions of food at a time just in case and see if he is able to keep it down. If he is managing biscuits and is happy then let him eat them, just make sure that he has a drink available.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
That's awful @deepetshopboy but I understand why you don't want to call them again. I was lucky with dads doctor, he was wonderful and the receptionists and dad was very easy to deal with too.

I hope your dad is okay and it may be better for the moment to only give him small portions of food at a time just in case and see if he is able to keep it down. If he is managing biscuits and is happy then let him eat them, just make sure that he has a drink available.
Hi just waiting on urgent gastroenterologist appointment which is meant to be in 2 weeks time dads really not eating well even food he could eat on monday he cannot eat now hes had spells of chocking /vomiting all week I've made a appointment at a private clinic on Sunday for a ultrasound and dr has recommended i ask for a capsule endoscopy at the nhs appointment if thats needed im dreading both appointments as my dads extremely agitated about it all already saying i dont need hospital no and swearing in between being incoherent and taking nonsense every conversation is him talking gibberish now and me trying to peice together what he saying and trying to make him understand he needs test at the hospital i felt so bad this evening as he was obviously hungry but the dinner i made ( soft salmon and peas ) got chocked up And dad went looking through the cupboard for food had to try and substitute it with creamed rice and yougurts he then started talking about going out for dinner and mushrooms this is going be so challenging and another stressful episode of Alzheimer’s to deal with ☹️

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Sorry things are so difficult for you @deepetshopboy Creamed rice is good and if you want some extra calories for him then add some double cream. I put double cream in everything I possibly could for dad and he gained weight. I was amazed at how much cream I could mix into a scrambled egg.

I hope the tests go well for your dad and he is not too agitated and I hope things get better for you both very soon.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Sorry things are so difficult for you @deepetshopboy Creamed rice is good and if you want some extra calories for him then add some double cream. I put double cream in everything I possibly could for dad and he gained weight. I was amazed at how much cream I could mix into a scrambled egg.

I hope the tests go well for your dad and he is not too agitated and I hope things get better for you both very soon.
Thank @Duggies-girl

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Have you tried really simple foods, like soup, yoghurt, ice cream , chocolate mousse etc? Can he Swallow those?

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Have you tried really simple foods, like soup, yoghurt, ice cream , chocolate mousse etc? Can he Swallow those?
Oh yes hes ok with them .hes had soup yogurts donuts jelly trifle weetabix all food i can think of thats ok to
I also tried soft potoatoe waffle soft chips and soft toast he eats cookies too which I can’t understand how he’s swallowing them very odd i cant understand it