Dad's care plan changed. He will eventually be bed bound.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad's care plan has been changed with his agreement.He will have am carers to wash and dress him but will stay in bed. The lunchtime carers will get him up for lunch. He will be spending 4 hours in his recliner and then the teatime carers will put him to bed. He will be then get a continence check etc at bedtime. All these will be dual assisted. His pressure sores have now broken and bleeding. The care coordinator is going to ask the District Nurse for an air mattress. He is staying in bed tomorrow. He says he is more comfortable in bed. I never thought I would here him say that. Today though he has been wondering where I am and what I doing. Even when I go to the toilet.. He has eaten quite well but is creatinine is raised. Also a lot of conflabstion about an imaginary ginger cat. Apparently it was here all day yesterday. Quite confused today but pleasant...

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Dad's care plan has been changed with his agreement.He will have am carers to wash and dress him but will stay in bed. The lunchtime carers will get him up for lunch. He will be spending 4 hours in his recliner and then the teatime carers will put him to bed. He will be then get a continence check etc at bedtime. All these will be dual assisted. His pressure sores have now broken and bleeding. The care coordinator is going to ask the District Nurse for an air mattress. He is staying in bed tomorrow. He says he is more comfortable in bed. I never thought I would here him say that. Today though he has been wondering where I am and what I doing. Even when I go to the toilet.. He has eaten quite well but is creatinine is raised. Also a lot of conflabstion about an imaginary ginger cat. Apparently it was here all day yesterday. Quite confused today but pleasant...
that sounds better for him and at least hes not in the chair a lot of hours. dual assisted as well. they finally got there.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The carers are putting cream on them plus the District Nurses Willbe up checking as well. Not sure this plan is going to work but we will give it a go.
Not the special dressing then? I thought they were supposed to be kept Dry rather than creamed, but guess if thats what the Dr has prescribed.......

Lets hope you dad agrees with the plan & isnt too resistant

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Not the special dressing then? I thought they were supposed to be kept Dry rather than creamed, but guess if thats what the Dr has prescribed.......

Lets hope you dad agrees with the plan & isnt too resistant
The problem with the dressing is that it comes off. The carers cannot put a dressing on by law so then we have to wait for the District Nurse. I'm not sure we will even get an air mattress. I already tried that. Maybe the care company will get it. I can put dressings on but I'm not always going to be here.I hope dad agrees but there is nothing else that can be done.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The problem with the dressing is that it comes off. The carers cannot put a dressing on by law so then we have to wait for the District Nurse. I'm not sure we will even get an air mattress. I already tried that. Maybe the care company will get it. I can put dressings on but I'm not always going to be here.I hope dad agrees but there is nothing else that can be done.
Then they are not really being treated properly. Its all well and good keep blaming the carers for them but they need proper attention daily. The dressings, if properly applied shouldnt come off. No onder he keeps getting them.
PLEASE get th district nurses more involved

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Then they are not really being treated properly. Its all well and good keep blaming the carers for them but they need proper attention daily. The dressings, if properly applied shouldnt come off. No onder he keeps getting them.
PLEASE get th district nurses more involved
I can only do what I can do. I have got the District Nurses involved several times. I'm not here all the time. I have to go through the GP to get the District Nurses involved. Plus it is also down to the carers to report them and document them. Also the District Nurses won't come daily that's why the carers get left with the dressings.Not even sure they know that they cannot put them on. Also leaving him 12 hours in a chair is not helping.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
They can't they put them on? that seems crazy. If your dad has a bed sore and dressings are supplied, surely they can apply one if the dressing has come off. ?If they can cream his backside, they can apply a new dressng. thats nuts.

The distrct nurses should stay on baord and keep an eye until they heal up- ongoing treatment.
Suprised f its the carers job to report them- to whom? Their management or the Dr?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Your poor dad must be in so much pain.
I would be complaining very loudly to the care agency and SS in order to get him the care he needs.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the carers are the ones to report it to the doctor, district nurse and their management alongside actually documenting it, condition, how it is etc. the dressings are hard to stay if they are exposed to urine, faeces and cream. it would help if the carers were more consistent with writing and reporting. maybe things will improve with the careplans being altered

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
In my area it is possible to self refer to the Tissue Viability Nurses. They are the experts and should be able to come out assess and make a care plan, and direct the district nurses or whoever with what needs to be done. Pressure sores are a real red flag and should be treated as a priority issue.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I was also going to assess the tissue viability nurse. She visited mum in her care home following discharge from hospital and I think her involvement got daily visits from the district nurse until the sores healed.

It only took the district nurse four hours following discharge to get an air mattress delivered to the care home, I don’t know if that is normal if people are living in their own homes.

The carers used a body map to record location, size and grade of the sores, it was updated every time they gave mum a shower and then shown to the district nurse at her visits.

I think mum was very lucky to live in a care home which was very proactive and had a good reputation with the local doctors surgery and nurses. Her doctor regularly phoned me after a visit to discuss changes to the care plan which was very reassuring for me.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
The District Nurses have been today and put a dressing on. They are due back on Friday. They have also tilted him. Air mattress and new cushion ordered for the chair. I saw the cleaner who had been with him today. She doubts like me that dad will only do the 4 hours a day in a chair for a while. Then will stay in bed. He was in a good mood but tired. Declined food and drink at tea time. But had enough fluid on his table if he wanted it.