dad's accusing the neighbours now

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Oh dear. This morning Dad decided to accuse the neighbour of putting their rubbish into our "wheelybin". When the poor man said "I wouldn;t do anything like that" apparently Dad just went on about him doing it so we would get fines or something. I wasn't there, I was upstairs asleep, but mum says this is what happened. Then she got moaned at because she won't "back me up" with all this nonsense. Then he complains that "the man next door was nasty to me". I don't blame the poor chap!

Luckily, we have very understanding neighbours, we have warned them he's got dementia...

I have to admit if I were them I would have lodged a formal complaint by now, what with this and Dad constantly snooping around.

Next time dad says he wishes he could move I'm tempted to say "well you'd better go into a care home where 'they' won't trouble you then".

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Luckily, we have very understanding neighbours, we have warned them he's got dementia...

Its lovely to read that your neighbours are so understanding . same they not a lot more people like that

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Is this the same neighbour as the guttering? He really has fixated on the poor man hasn't he? Does it concern you that they might eventually lose patience?

I really feel for you and wish there was some solution but I can't think of anything.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have had to tell our neighbours not to open the door to Dhiren, as he has begun to mither them quite a lot.

Whenever we are at odds, he goes next door to ask for help in getting his bank account and pension redirected etc. He doesn`t even have an new address to get them redirected to. They have their own problems and he has become a niusance.

They were very embarrassed when I told them not to answer the door to him, and they also feel so sorry for him, but he can`t keep bothering other people. He is my responsibility and they don`t know what to say when he tells them how awful I am.

I`m just grateful the neighbours keep an eye open, without them having to become involved.

dianasnan

Jun 18, 2007
My Mum is absolutely paranoid about her next door neighbour as well. She thinks my Dad has given her the house and if she misplaces anything its always 'her next door' that has had it. Mum even whispers when talking to me about 'her' and was once to frightened to go upstairs to get some money in case 'she' came through the wall into the bedroom. Thank goodness the hallucinations have decreased, once apparently 'she' was lying on the kitchen floor with her partner. thank goodness the woman has the patience of a saint.

Yet this is the same person that Mum goes to if she has problems with any electrical appliance.

I have been on the opposite end of this as well, my elderly neighbour was positive that I and my husband were doing things to her house and I began to dread her turning up on my doorstep accusing me of something or other. the funny side was when she turned up with a bucket of dogs droppings and accused my cat . the poor animal would have given herself a hernia if she had produced such large ones!!!!

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
jenniferpa said:
Is this the same neighbour as the guttering? He really has fixated on the poor man hasn't he? Does it concern you that they might eventually lose patience?

I really feel for you and wish there was some solution but I can't think of anything.

Jennifer

It is the same one, yes.

We also got a rant yesterday about "they caught those terrorists that did the bombs in London, they are the worst sort of people, just like those people we have next door"

I suppose I will have to report this to the pyschiatrist - again!

Sadly I can see Dad being put into a care home if he carries on like this, so sad, everything else is manageable but not this obsessive, delusional paranoia.

It's the first time that he's actually accused the poor man directly, you can actually watch Dad's brain ticking away, building up the delusion in his mind. He's quite convinced he saw the poor chap putting stuff into our bin but when challenged "can't remember what it was".

I bet you the next thing will be the neighbour "damaging the house" because he's having "revenge" after Dad's accusations.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
jenniferpa said:
Does it concern you that they might eventually lose patience?

Sometimes I almost wish the poor man would report Dad to the authorities. Although this would probably reinforce the paranoia, it might result in something being done about it - or at least, the shock of having a policeman coming to the house and warning Dad about making false and unsubstantiated accusations might do some good!

The poor man has been very tolerant, but this can't last forever. The chap living on our other side is, I know, fed up with Dad constantly walking around the pavement at the front of his house and peering down his driveway and garden. This is mostly because Dad is an incorrigible snooper with nothing better to do although he kids himself he's doing it to "keep an eye on things for next door whilst they are out".